Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all!
I have a (almost) 7 year old neutered orange belton English Setter.

After we neutered him, his lovely flat coat turned in to a woolley, fuzzy, curly coat.

I had always groomed him and trimmed feathers etc myself, but this summer has been HOT. I took him to the groomers for the first time, and she said although she'd normally hand strip, his coat wouldn't lie flat due to the fuzz adter neutering. She shaved his back, neck, head (not whiskers!) etc instead.

Back and sides were a 5f, and I believe head was a 10.

Now, three weeks on he's starting to get his fluff back.

I'd love to spend that kind of money getting him pampered every six weeks or so, but unfortunately.. not happening!

I'm looking in to getting my own clippers. I have experience with horses, but would like some input please.

I'd like a 5f & 7f blade, and a 10.

I have seen Wahl is a really popular make, but apart from blades I know nothing about dog clippers.

Something quieter would be great, maybe even wireless.

Any input?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have Welsh springers and use the Andi 2 speed: https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemai...P_TR&itemKey=005056A633791ED2B5863B3A4316EFB3

It was recommended to me by professional groomers and it's worked really well for the past couple years. I wouldn't recommend wireless - they are generally not as high quality as something wired.

Sorry to hear that your boy's coat was ruined by neutering! I have considered neutering my boy, and spaying my puppy when she's older, but ruining their beautiful easy to care for coats makes me really hesitate.

Reactions: RufieRoo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is still silky soft and adorable, but he is also a house pet and nothing more. Super good for hugs without or without the fluff! I can't find a decent fluffy picture of the before, but I attached the after. It was the first time she had groomed an English Setter.. I definitely told her whatever she did would not be as bad as what I do to him... but he looks amazing!

It's also saved from so much hair and dust in the house as he shed constantly. I would take a suit to work to change in to to keep it fluff free!

Our Irish Setter was spayed last October time. She went from being fine, to over the past month developing huge tufts of wirey fluff which I am struggling to groom out, so I think a shave may also be a good option for her too.

Whatever is comfortable for them, and then what creates less hoover and dusting mess for me is an added bonus ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
What a sweet boy! She did a really nice job on him.

Clippers take a bit of practice, but if he's well behaved you should be able to figure it out. If you don't have one already I would highly recommend a grooming table. Also some nice strait shears and thinning shears for the areas you need to trim instead of clip.

ETA: The 10 blade comes standard, so you would only need to purchase the other two. I know some people like a #30 for the bottoms of the feet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is funny around his feet, so my plan would be trimming with scissors only. He is pretty tolerant with everything else, but I'm planning on making the first trims a two man job.

I am hoping to get them in the next two weeks and follow where she has done. She did an awesome job, I was super nervous getting it done but wish I had sooner now!

I've had some practice with horses (thought I don't know he'd want a love heart on his rump!) so I'm hoping I can avoid bald patches... and if not... it'll grow back ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just as an FYI, doing hand stripping on the speutered fluff is super easy to do with a good striping blade. All the professional handlers I know use Oster clippers, but I've heard good things about Andis as well. The most important thing with any clipper is to keep it clean and lubricated. Dirty clipper blades will dull faster and need to be sharpened more often; they also get hotter faster and pull more on the coat making it unpleasant for your pet. And as Elrohwen said, cordless clippers are always going to be worse than their cordded counterpart. Cordless clippers have significantly less power and you always have to make sure the battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard you can fit Wahl, Oster and another make of blades to each other, all interchangeable.

Cordless is out of the question. His shave day will most likely be one of those moments I think it's a really good idea and don't have the patience to wait for it to charge!

Thanks for the adivce animalcracker :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So these are the ones I ordered. They come with different combs, and no 5 so I did his back on a 4. I am SO impressed with them. Very quiet and powerful, very quick and easy to use. I'd recommend them to anyone. I will get pictures up. The areas that look rubbish are from my own lack of skill, but I was very impressed with the ease of use around head/neck/ear region.

Our Irish Setter is also neutered, and has since grown wirey ear wig fluff on her back. I put the number 8 on and after going with the fur first, managed to take it off no issues. She is an absolute scaredy cat and let me do that, then lay down on me asking for more when I turned them off.

Super happy with this product!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.