Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2 month old English bulldog and she is great. Real cute and cuddly but she has a wild side that I can't seem to win with. She plays with her toys for less than a minute and then goes back to biting fingers and toes and any other flesh she can. I have tried to yelp and scream but she doesn't understand it hurts and she just bites harder. She bites people anywhere she can and its not seeming to calm down. She hasn't had her 3 month shots so I can't socialize her with other dogs in the apartment complex because she may get sick according to the vet. So my question is what am I supposed to do for the next month about her biting. I know it's the teething stage and it's hard to get her to stop mouthing but if I could get the attack on the fingers to stop I'd be happy. I have been trying the old trick where I stand up and ignore her for a little bit but as soon as I sit down she starts back at it. I've had her 4 days so I know she's still learning but I just need to know if I'm doing the right thing or not. The only other thing I have done is put her in her room (a bathroom her puppy pads bowls and bed are in) where she will kinda get crazy for a moment and then calms down. Is there any advice someone can give me? This is my first puppy and I want her to be sweet and cuddly but it's hard when she is biting at all the people that come over.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your yelps and screams will only excite her more - I know. I have an english bulldog mix and he was the exact same way. A complete landshark.

Socializing her with other dogs wouldn't put an end to the puppy biting anyway - and especially not in a bulldog. They are relentless because they are bred to be. Getting a nip or loud yelp out of another dog isn't going to teach your dog anything (if that was your hope).

With bulldogs, you've got to redirect the bite. Show them what is acceptable to be biting. When Toby was a puppy I discouraged any sort of rough housing. I disallowed people to use their body parts to play with him (ie; No waving your hands around or slapping the ground to excite him). If people wanted to play with the puppy they were required to use a toy to encourage him to use the toys too.

If he ever avoided the toy and still went for skin, we put him in the crate for up to 2 minutes to calm down. Teeth + Skin = Fun stops. He learned this quickly after a few repetitions. And if we ever just caught him playing with a toy on his own, we'd quietly drop a treat beside him to encourage the behavior.

If he was feeling REALLY chewy and toys just weren't enticing enough even after a quick time out, we would stuff his kong with his dinner and seal the ends with some peanut butter to encourage him to chew the toy instead of people or furniture.

It takes patience! Bulldogs are either quick to pick up new concepts - or well... not so much. So make sure you remain extremely consistent and don't expect a change over night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. She has started to terrorize her room and I think she is trying to get me to respond to her but I guess I'll keep putting her in the room. Would it help her understand if I go in and try to play every 10 minutes and as long as she doesn't bite I stay but as soon as she does I walk out? She's been in her room a lot the past couple days and I don't want her to think she's not part of the pack because it is just her and i. She does get lovey when I keep her in there for more than 20 mind after she bites. Is that her trying to sweeten up on me before she tries to strike again? Like I said I'm new to this and I read as much as I could before hand but it's like baby books... u can read as much as u want but when the real thing is there it's becomes a learn as you go kinda thing...

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ great advice up there
Its very important to immediately redirect her to something appropriate to chew on, if she quickly goes back to the fingers, she gets put in her crate(or if you don't have a crate, the bathroom you've been using) for 5 minutes, then back out to try again. Rinse and repeat. She should pick it up, maybe not immediately, but w/ a bit of time.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Part of the pack... have you been watching Cesar Millan? Lol. He's not a good source of information as his theories are based on a lot of outdated info.

Anyway, yes, you've got the idea! Go play with her - maybe not every 10 minutes as that's a long time to just leave her unsupervised and it's really important you supervise her so she doesn't get into anything (which is why I like the crates), but when you are playing with her - stick around and keep it fun! If she nips. Say 'Ouch!' and then just get up and walk away. Come back in a minute or 2 and try again. :)

She's not nipping with the intent of hurting you. She would have played with her littermates like this and so it's a behavior that was reinforced by other little bulldogs for a period of time. You just have to show her that she can't do that with you - by teaching her how you DO want to be played with.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You've received great advice above! I was personally going through that with my corgi puppy when I got him at 8 weeks. Piranha teeth let me tell you. I did the "Soon as teeth touches flesh = fun goes bye bye" mentality and it worked great. I usually play with him in his pen, and I leave it immediately. I usually wait about 20 seconds before going back in and handing him a toy to chew on instead of me.

When we're out and about and he's not in playpen, and he gets too excited and starts herding me, I leave the room or I put him inside the nearest room and shut the door. I wait 20 seconds again. This has worked magically.

He still nips - other people, but he's getting better. But when mama is playing with him, he knows better. Usually when I come back to his playpen, he immediately crawls into my lap and lays down all calm. I always take it that he's apologizing or "no mama, dont leave again please"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!!! Just today alone has made a huge difference... I haven't read one certain person or another. I just read as much as I could but I guess that left me more options than help. She's feeling bad I think because she definitely comes and lays in my lap like I made her sad. Now to get her to potty on pee pads and not all over my place...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts