Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry if this isn't the right place for this but I have a quick question about ESA's. my wife has anxiety and some depression and has expressed interest in the past in registering our dog as an ESA.

Can anyone tell me if there are any negative consequences to doing this? My fear is that registering our dog will put my wife into some government database of disabled people meaning it will be more difficult to find work and the like. My father in law claimed disability after the military and now it's hard for him to find work so I want to avoid any negative consequences.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

· Registered
170 Posts
There is more info on this site so you can do a search.

So, first of all in the U.S.A. There are NO LIGITAMATE registries for service dogs, emotional support dogs or therapy dogs regardless of what the adds say. They all are out to get your money.

An ESA dog needs a doctor's recommendation to be legal. This will allow you to have a dog in apartments with more than four units if there are anti dog rules and for the most part you can't be charged pet fees. You may have to show this document to the manager.
You can't take the dog in businesses like a service dog.
You don't have to have a trained dog but I'd highly recommend you go to dog obedience classes and learn to train the dog to be comfortable around other dogs and people.

Just look down this page and you can find a lot more info.

· Banned
34 Posts
The emotional support animal works in the form of therapy for anyone who needs emotional support and companionship. Just think of it like this that the animal is helping you to cure your mental issues with its presence. ESA is like a living support system for a person who has mental illnesses. Most mental issues are characterized by anxiety, depression, and feeling of loneliness. A support system offers you a solution to your mental disturbances, and this is where an ESA proves to come in handy. I was not aware of these benefits but then I was diagnosed with depression which required me to get an emotional support animal and I came across this article Adopting an Emotional Support Animal (ESA): The Ultimate Guide. It is a complete guide and through this, I got what I needed and I am much happier now. The process was very simple and I didn’t have to stress much about it. ESA is much different from service animals because it is not trained for a specific purpose. I guess this provision of ESAs was a brilliant and helpful move for all people needing emotional support. Like it can be any animal. Dog, cat, or guinea pig. The basic thing that matters is these animals fill that emotional void in life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.