Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
ESA kitty

Yes, I am the mother of an ESA cat and ESA dog now.
When I return home and open the door, my cat will lie on the couch with opened belly and “stare” at me, implying me that “I need your pet”. He is quiet, never meow and hold a “welcome ceremony” once I open the door.
However, in fact, I love his silence because I don’t like endless meowing after my heavy work every day. I need a quiet place to ease my tension. Petting the furry kitty can perfectly reduce my anxiety and pressure. He acts as a great emotional support animal as he will never refuse my touch when I need him. He allows me petting and hugging and loves to sleep by my side. Also, he is good at socializing with others without meowing and struggling when I traveled with him by train or aircraft. All his traits qualify as an ESA, my therapist said. The benefits of ESA cats involve solving some problems when you apply for “No pets” apartments or traveling with cats in the passenger cabin. However, meow lovers or unsocialized cats could not perform well in airports and airplanes. It’s better to socialize the cat first before the air travel, here are some helpful tips: How to Socialize Your Adult Cat

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have to make this clear before I say anything. I DO NOT have a registered ESA.

My dog is super sweet. She senses when I'm frustrated or upset. At night sometimes when I feel really bad, I call her to me and she stretches out next to me so that I can pet her. At one point I was extremely frustrated and she came and tried to kiss my face and cheer me up. It worked. I was yelled at by my father and went to me room scared and trying desperately not to cry. My dog was on my bed and when I sat next to her, she licked my face and allowed me to pet her. My cat also acts similar to this and will come to me purring as loud as she can. She allows me to hold her like a baby. I will talk to her and she listens. If I point something out to her she will smell it or touch it with her feet.

They aren't registered and have had absolutely no special training. But they are there for me when it feels like no one else is. If I had the courage, I would definitely see about getting my dog registered and getting a letter from a mental health person. However, my anxiety refuses to allow me to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My emotional support dog helped me in times I needed it the most. The emotional support dog works in the form of therapy for anyone who needs emotional support and companionship. Just think of it like this that the animal is basically helping you to cure your mental issues with its presence. ESD is like a living support system for a person who has mental disabilities or illnesses. Most mental issues are characterized by anxiety, depression, and feeling of loneliness. A support system offers you a solution to your mental disturbances, and this is where an ESA proves to come in handy. I was not really aware of these benefits but then I was diagnosed with mental health issues which required me to get an emotional support animal and I came across this article Adopting an Emotional Support Animal (ESA): The Ultimate Guide. The process was very simple and I didn’t have to stress much about it. ESA is much different from service animals because it is not trained for a specific purpose. I guess this provision of ESAs was a brilliant and helpful move for all people needing emotional support. Like it can be any animal. Dog, cat, or guinea pig. The basic thing that matters is these animals fill that emotional void in life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts