Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this is big major news i know! Trust me this hasn't been easy to get used to the idea of /come to terms with after being uprooted at age 11 from my birth country UK all the way to NZ where lived for 19 years now.

All a sudden after returning home from UK five week holiday mum announced she looking for a job in the UK i was thrown and thought whoa hang on you uprooted me all those years ago told me you would never live in England again and yet here your telling me this? i said that to her she said well as your not happy and home sick and there's supposed to be better support and family is all there it makes sense that way if we die you are already there.

Came the tough decisions yes and no want to move i was peeved as just got settled again, lounge wallpapered and looking awesome. anyway after lots of thought i want to move back and mum has 95% got this job in lake district.

So i need some help here with researching what airline crates suit all airlines or most especially air nz, quantas, any airlines going via singapore, dubai eg emirates is dubai one etc. so far we have flown with air NZ, singapore airlines, emirates, quantas not british airways for years to go to UK

I know i need pet passports whether to take charlie will be hard because his arthritis is worse as his weight is a problem doing what can there.

Is it also true that there's more support for people with disabities in particular for people like me with Intellectual disability(thought that went away but being re assessed for it once refferal gone through and received) autism/Asperger, depression, epilepsy?

Also Jessie and her raw dog food any suppliers that do rabbit, goat, more novel protien low fat not chicken beef or lamb though oh and plenty of green tripe a must. Must deliver either to lake district, billington, blackpool (st annes in particular), whitehaven, carisle. That is off top my head.

Also besides pet passport, airline crate and looking for vets in uk is there anything else i need to look into and organise please? am i glad i have 12 months to move over if mum takes that job and likes it over there if she likes it over there nad happy only then will i move but i may as well move anyway because whats the point staying here?

my SIL is rude doing things back to front doesnt have relationship with me but asks awful lot of favors to do with cooper all the time, if she does something for me its to get a favor in return, never asks if id like to go out and do something with her at all so no support there, my brother well has his life and going to have kids(now i must move to uk god help me if they still live next door to me then!) cooper got landed on me daily for me to let him out daily never mind look after him awful lot and clean up his chewing messes ad vacum up etc! i did stop it for a few months but now only arrange it with brother to let dog out once a week only!

Family in uk more supportive wouldnt see me stuck , best friend from childhood in uk blackpool to be precise. if i lived in uk before parents die no panic in moving over right? id already be there!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Without knowing how much assistance you receive in your country, it's impossible to tell you what kind of assistance is available in the UK. But you could contact the following, who, even if they can't help, maybe be able to tell you who can.

Psychological Assistance Dogs UK

Regarding raw food for your dog - you migh be able to get goat from a Halal butcher, also online sometimes. But quite expensive.

Rabbits are seasonally available in some butchers, although I find that very sporadic. So best to get a freezer and buy as much as you can when available. There are online raw suppliers who sell rabbit, but again, in my experience, not available all the year round. Have you tried Jessie on turkey? Plenty available in supermarkets all the year round.

Green tripe can be bought online, but nowadays many pet shops are stocking raw food such as Natural Instinct, Nutriment, Natures Menu who include tripe in their ranges. I have found Paleoridgeraw very good, have a look on their website. There are now many farm shops offering all sorts of 'goodies' for dogs. Worth visiting the local ones, once you're settled.

Another thing you will need when you relocate is accommodation - will you live in own property or rent? Majority of landlords don't seem to be pet friendly, but check out

Lets with Pets

I think the list of airline able to bring pets into the UK is quite limited. Lots of info is on here

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Good luck, hope your move goes smoothly.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Check all the airlines some may have age limits that you might run up against. No personal experience but I've heard good things about flying with pets on emirates.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I get raw stuff from Durham animal feeds they deliver all over the country and also offer pick up. They have a great selection of meats and bones, so you could check them out.

So exciting your moving to the UK. Your not too far from me if Carlisle is close, only a couple of hour drive :)

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without knowing how much assistance you receive in your country, it's impossible to tell you what kind of assistance is available in the UK. But you could contact the following, who, even if they can't help, maybe be able to tell you who can.

Psychological Assistance Dogs UK

Regarding raw food for your dog - you migh be able to get goat from a Halal butcher, also online sometimes. But quite expensive.

Rabbits are seasonally available in some butchers, although I find that very sporadic. So best to get a freezer and buy as much as you can when available. There are online raw suppliers who sell rabbit, but again, in my experience, not available all the year round. Have you tried Jessie on turkey? Plenty available in supermarkets all the year round.

Green tripe can be bought online, but nowadays many pet shops are stocking raw food such as Natural Instinct, Nutriment, Natures Menu who include tripe in their ranges. I have found Paleoridgeraw very good, have a look on their website. There are now many farm shops offering all sorts of 'goodies' for dogs. Worth visiting the local ones, once you're settled.

Another thing you will need when you relocate is accommodation - will you live in own property or rent? Majority of landlords don't seem to be pet friendly, but check out

Lets with Pets

I think the list of airline able to bring pets into the UK is quite limited. Lots of info is on here

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Good luck, hope your move goes smoothly.
Assistance i get benefits (quite a few of them to get the amount i get weekly even that isn't that much once rent comes out) i also right now temporarily get weekly home help with cleaning and tidying up the house. I also have a navigator i am thankfully out of mental health services as they aren't right for me at all.

Otherwise i do things for myself i rarely cook i go parents for that as meat so expensive and live by yourself you dont want to cook normally but trying to get back into it.

Havent heard of paleoridge raw or nutriment will look into those thanks. Jessie knows how to challenge me with her diet restrictions including veggies! heard of the other two though.

No not raw turkey itself but have tried from pet shop turkey neck and she seemed to get a puss pimple that got red. Then tried rabbit salmon and turkey blend mix and she broke out in those pimple spots and got very pink almost red. So im guessing was the turkey as i have given her salmon before (smoked) just to test her on it. we get our raw from here Raw dog food Wellington Raw meat diet for dogs Kapiti

She has also had besides rabbit and goat venison and liver , duck but as its moderate fat hmmm cautious and need to re try it very soon. we had to stick to rabbit goat and tripe for 3 months now its been replaced wth rabbit venison and lambs tripe. She loves her tripe! cant miss that and if i feed it daily (half cube to a cube a cube 100gm) her skin is amazing now its warmer must get onto it again esp now comes in 1.2kg not 900gm. Will buy it today at the market for her as we got to get training treat for ozzy.

Yes accomodation red has given me a useful link to check out the safe areas to live in where i would be moving to in a PM and frankly we arent sure where to live lol and thanks for the link for let with pets. I read on one site if you share any grounds with anyone and you have a dog you need a doctors certificate to say you medically need the dog now thats easily done as i have depression and Jessie keeps me going daily and from doing stupid things, anxiety, intellectual disability and aspergers though shall we what final diagnosis will be soon or shall i say correct ones. If it werent for Jessie i wouldnt be where i am today or here at all.

The links are so helpful thanks! i have to admit i am overwhelmed with what i have to do to get benefits over in the uk!

Check all the airlines some may have age limits that you might run up against. No personal experience but I've heard good things about flying with pets on emirates.
Will do thanks,glad to hear about that re emirates given the crap service we got when we flew with them recently esp my mums side of the plane!
I get raw stuff from Durham animal feeds they deliver all over the country and also offer pick up. They have a great selection of meats and bones, so you could check them out.

So exciting your moving to the UK. Your not too far from me if Carlisle is close, only a couple of hour drive :)
Hi

Good to know where you get your raw from! thanks so much for telling me! Im not excitied yet just overwhelmed and doing lots of research. mum might not like the uk and move back here but im hoping i can still move back if she doesn't like it there. trouble is parents support me awful lot and help me awful lot. its awful having to depend on them for some things!

Reactions: BusterBCsMum

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
@crazy fingers crossed everything works out! I know what you mean, I used to be quite dependent on my parents but after my first year away at camp in the US I came back a different person, I was 19 then and I'm 22 now, huge difference. It was the push I needed to sort myself out and I'm thankful for that.

Now I've got my life sorted out and have my own business which is pretty awesome!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@crazy fingers crossed everything works out! I know what you mean, I used to be quite dependent on my parents but after my first year away at camp in the US I came back a different person, I was 19 then and I'm 22 now, huge difference. It was the push I needed to sort myself out and I'm thankful for that.

Now I've got my life sorted out and have my own business which is pretty awesome!
Thank you :) sadly im 30 now and my parents have to still help me buy clothes, lingerie sometimes help with vet bills for Jessie( they pay charlies can never afford his) and help me out with food and bills

Dad is scared of the thought that i don't want to live close to him and mum when we move(if at this stage) he wants me close but all that does is feed his need to offer me lifts, do things for me etc which im trying to cut back on. Dad says what if i lived in blackpool and they are in carisle and i had a seizure or got really ill with my epilepsy or asthma etc and they were 40 minutes drive away? that id have to come live with them till i'm better! Yet i know why he is like this since birth where i got stuck turned blue and had forceps to get me out never mind whooping cough at 6 weeks bronchitis at 5 months epilepsy at 1 year. Epilepsy wasn't stable till 8 years old and i was my happiest in my whole life at 8-10 years old where i was stable then end of the year i was ten back to status epileptus like the years previously and lots of seizures.

Thing is my best friend lives in blackpool and is currently renting her flat she bought when her mum was alive as just cant sell it. So that could be an opportunity as she knows and seen photos of Jessie. Yet if i can find somewhere close by but not too close to parents that would be a bonus. Sorry in delay in replying was reply right away then brother rang to see if home and if Jess and i want to see and play with Harry his mother in law got a dog! a puppy!10 month old

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can someone help me make sense of emirates rules for shih tzu? bolded shih tzu as jessie is half that and half australian terrier

Temperature Restrictions:
Emirates will only accept the following snub-nosed breeds from October 1 through April 30 in crates one size larger than the normal measurements require*: Boston Terrier, Boxer, Brussels Griffon, Chinese Pug, Chow Chow, Dutch Pug (Mopshond, Mops Hund, Carlino), English Toy Spaniel, King Charles Spaniel, Valley Bulldog, French Mastiff, Lhasa Apso, Japanese Chin (Chin, Japanese Spaniel, Japanese Pug), Pekinese, Pug, Shar-Pei, Shih Tzu, Tibetan Spaniel. Cats include American Burmese, Exotic, Himalayan, Persian, and British Shorthair.
Transit of snub nosed pets during other periods will be considered on a case by case basis according to Emirates Airlines pet policy.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh poor Jessie and what she has been subjected to! had to measure for the crate the following:

Nose to tail= 58cm(with it standing up and curled over per usual)
Height-elblow = 20cm(awww)
Across shoulders 18cm (if i did it right and not go down the side of her but only across)
Height standing 28cm

Cute measurements and never measured her in such a extreme way! whats next her chest, neck and head lol?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thank you :) sadly im 30 now and my parents have to still help me buy clothes, lingerie sometimes help with vet bills for Jessie( they pay charlies can never afford his) and help me out with food and bills

Dad is scared of the thought that i don't want to live close to him and mum when we move(if at this stage) he wants me close but all that does is feed his need to offer me lifts, do things for me etc which im trying to cut back on. Dad says what if i lived in blackpool and they are in carisle and i had a seizure or got really ill with my epilepsy or asthma etc and they were 40 minutes drive away? that id have to come live with them till i'm better! Yet i know why he is like this since birth where i got stuck turned blue and had forceps to get me out never mind whooping cough at 6 weeks bronchitis at 5 months epilepsy at 1 year. Epilepsy wasn't stable till 8 years old and i was my happiest in my whole life at 8-10 years old where i was stable then end of the year i was ten back to status epileptus like the years previously and lots of seizures.

Thing is my best friend lives in blackpool and is currently renting her flat she bought when her mum was alive as just cant sell it. So that could be an opportunity as she knows and seen photos of Jessie. Yet if i can find somewhere close by but not too close to parents that would be a bonus. Sorry in delay in replying was reply right away then brother rang to see if home and if Jess and i want to see and play with Harry his mother in law got a dog! a puppy!10 month old
Goodness me you've been through a lot! I was the same at birth emergency C-section and I was turning blue. Unexplained illness at 5, diagnosed at Urtocarial Vasculistis, was given 6 weeks to either get better or die :| very intense.

Close by your parents would be the best option I think! Close enough if you need them but still giving yourself a bit of independence and space. I reckon if I was your parents I'd feel the need to stick close just to ensure your okay which is just what parents do. My mum is a worrier and is in constant contact, she lives 5 minutes away and I live with my dad. When I went to camp she was going insane haha.

So is living with your friend an option? That could be fun!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goodness me you've been through a lot! I was the same at birth emergency C-section and I was turning blue. Unexplained illness at 5, diagnosed at Urtocarial Vasculistis, was given 6 weeks to either get better or die :| very intense.

Close by your parents would be the best option I think! Close enough if you need them but still giving yourself a bit of independence and space. I reckon if I was your parents I'd feel the need to stick close just to ensure your okay which is just what parents do. My mum is a worrier and is in constant contact, she lives 5 minutes away and I live with my dad. When I went to camp she was going insane haha.

So is living with your friend an option? That could be fun!
yeah i have and im about to under go intellectual disability test to see if i have still got that if so whats my mental age where am i at now as well as any others victoria university throw at me to get me the right help and support which will come in darn handy for moving to the uk if it happens as maybe it will help me get the right support faster!

SIL says to my brother theres always conflict with me and that i cause it well it told him its two ways she cant ask me for favors and put things on me when there isnt a relationship a proper sister in law one beyond the dog as thats all she talks about and asks about when she sees me.

He agreed as does dad but that she is scared of trying to get on with me because im hard work(probably the Asperger's and intellectual disability there) and me dreading saying hi to her because i will get asked to help with cooper in some way as is always the case! what doesnt help is dad is hard work too! so partly genetic as his mum my gran is still alive is very hard work as Aleisha his wife is sure to find out soon!

Btw paleo raw ridge looks very promising for Jessie and the durham one looks possible for her raw. Havent checked out the other one hadn't heard of yet but be sure im training Jessie and doing homework for the very possible move to uk.

Re best friend yes and no i was over for a few days visiting and i got sick and she got very nervous as her immune system isnt good and she been having accupuncture and she was very worried about me and wanted me to go home even though she wanted me to stay. Going to email her.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
few recent pics of Jessie before and after hair cut and one of charlie. Yes he is in her bed LOL

Attachments

Reactions: SusanLynn

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@BusterBCsMum i was a normal birth not c section in 1985 in the UK i dont think c sections were known about or something but my head got stuck and had forceps to get me out which apparently can cause damage and intellectual disablity as can lack of oxygen and whooping cough! read it on uk site about intellectual disability and aspergers those two also go with hand in hand with epilepsy never knew such things!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
yeah i have and im about to under go intellectual disability test to see if i have still got that if so whats my mental age where am i at now as well as any others victoria university throw at me to get me the right help and support which will come in darn handy for moving to the uk if it happens as maybe it will help me get the right support faster!

SIL says to my brother theres always conflict with me and that i cause it well it told him its two ways she cant ask me for favors and put things on me when there isnt a relationship a proper sister in law one beyond the dog as thats all she talks about and asks about when she sees me.

He agreed as does dad but that she is scared of trying to get on with me because im hard work(probably the Asperger's and intellectual disability there) and me dreading saying hi to her because i will get asked to help with cooper in some way as is always the case! what doesnt help is dad is hard work too! so partly genetic as his mum my gran is still alive is very hard work as Aleisha his wife is sure to find out soon!

Btw paleo raw ridge looks very promising for Jessie and the durham one looks possible for her raw. Havent checked out the other one hadn't heard of yet but be sure im training Jessie and doing homework for the very possible move to uk.

Re best friend yes and no i was over for a few days visiting and i got sick and she got very nervous as her immune system isnt good and she been having accupuncture and she was very worried about me and wanted me to go home even though she wanted me to stay. Going to email her.
Yeah that'll come in handy for the move, help you settle in better.

I've heard the paleo raw ridge is very good aswell :) least you have plenty of options before the move and you know food won't be an problem. Durham animal feeds have been so so helpful when I've ordered, such friendly people :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah that'll come in handy for the move, help you settle in better.

I've heard the paleo raw ridge is very good aswell :) least you have plenty of options before the move and you know food won't be an problem. Durham animal feeds have been so so helpful when I've ordered, such friendly people :)
yes thats very true i just hope the refferal wont take forever or the assessments. shouldnt do though.

Yeah i was really worried about Jessie and her raw food i do admit because she cant have raw chicken, beef i thought her skin looked a bit pinky red, lamb is ok if only 20% but 100% lamb got her hair loss on her chest not a big amount but noticeable small amount which has grown back. She cant have any veggies in any form powders, fibres, raw or cooked or cystitis flares up and urine PH shoots up really high i think same for fruits but need to test that yet. The k9 natural had fruit and veggies in it. Will need to go through all her clinical note folder to see what lab said if only veges or both fruit and veges. Then changed to prey model raw from the cats and dogs dinner company who are in kapiti (not to far from wellington) and within 3 days she pee normally in 5 days PH was normal!

As for dry foods it no good at all, lamb, beef gives awful gas lol, chicken gets her belly hot and red, duck i think was gas as well. Today gave her dehydrated lambs lung to try as treat but whew her farts stank out dads lounge and dad was even holding his nose tight! he even told her to get her stinky bum away from him LOL. Sorry i cant help laugh here.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my mum is moving there to the lake district either end november or after christmas! happy for her but gutted as will miss her but now dad wants to be there after she been there 6 months! now i have to rush assessments and really feel pressure! got a quote from venture pet who move pets across the world for Jessie nzd 3050

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awaiting qoute from emirates but still nothing! mum wants a second quote. also going to see if spca do rabies vaccine for cheaper

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
emirates never got back to me i had to ring them! apparently they dont fly dogs from wellington NZ to manchester! because of all the freight makes it unsafe in cargo. its bullocks cause venturepet told me emirates do fly them but from dubai to manchester! duh they could of said to me but we fly them from dubai to manchester how hard is that honestly?

anyway im looking at may to go back. But jeez have i alot to do when i get back! those born after 1985 how old were you when you got national insurance number please in the UK? and i hope it wont take long to open up a bank account, take habitual residency test, assessments for home help, find local vets and training clubs, medical centre for me most of all! get reffered to dermatology, neurology, gynae etc!

golly gosh so much to do when i get there i cant just relax or take time to settle in! and ive to go through everything i own too, just requested my medical records from the hospital as well only just emailed them to do that! reading my notes from when very young is amazing ive come such an amazing long way!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts