Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time deciding what words I want to use for emergency recall and release cues. I don't want to use a word like "okay" for my release because I use that too frequently in everyday life/conversations. We're using "come" for standard recall, but I have yet to decide on a good word for emergency recall.

What cues do you use, and are there any other helpful ones you think should be added to my list?

Here's my list so far:
Come
Down
Drop it
Fetch
Go lay down
Leave it
Let's go (loose leash walking, left)
Off
Settle
Sit
Stay
Take it
Up
Wait
Watch me
With me (loose leash walking, right)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Ha, you've got a better list than I do! I need to get back into training new things; life kind of got in the way.

For release, I just use "release". I couldn't think of anything better and it works just as well, honestly.

With Chisum I'm still working on the concept of "come here", but when I get to working on an emergency recall I think I'll go with "quick" because I think that word will come more naturally to me if I'm in a dire situation.

My terrier's emergency recall, somehow, became "look". To her, it means I've found something interesting and she books it over to me to check it out. I have no idea how that association got started, but it's very solid so I'm not complaining, haha :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, you've got a better list than I do! I need to get back into training new things; life kind of got in the way.

For release, I just use "release". I couldn't think of anything better and it works just as well, honestly.

With Chisum I'm still working on the concept of "come here", but when I get to working on an emergency recall I think I'll go with "quick" because I think that word will come more naturally to me if I'm in a dire situation.

My terrier's emergency recall, somehow, became "look". To her, it means I've found something interesting and she books it over to me to check it out. I have no idea how that association got started, but it's very solid so I'm not complaining, haha :)
Hahaha, I love the "look" emergency recall!! As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

And I completely sympathize with that whole life thing getting in the way. I spend a lot more time with Roscoe training during the weekend when I actually have more free time. I'm usually so tired on weeknights after work, so we only do a little bit here and there during the week.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I say "Thats it" .

Emergency recall , i say Look and its develops into Whoo LOOKEE HERE !

I use a whistle when i remember to take it with me.

I've also taught them "Enough " for when they play to roughly.

All gone and the hand gesture means no treats left.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use "relax" for release and I whistle a very specific whistle for emergency recall; I did not develop the latter intentionally, it kind of happened on accident, but it works so I'll stick w/ it. I would almost prefer to have a word, as I can just barely whistle, but this particular whistle I do I can do fairly loudly generally speaking, so I guess it's okay.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We have "get it" for pick something up off the ground, and "take it" for take it from my hand, and "drop it", is for just dropping in front of me, and "thank you" for putting in my hand.

We are not using stay and release, for Jasmine a sit or lie down is automatically a command to stay in that position until she is told to do something else. I use "get up" to release her from a sit or lie down if I do not want her to do something else, "get up" is basically my command when I want her standing, but no stay is implied in that position.

Her emergency recall is actually a command we learned in her training class because she responds so well to it, "touch" where she touches her nose to my extended hand. I don't think I have ever had her not respond to it since she learned it., It is her only "squirrel proof" command. She also knows "go home" but that hasn't being really field tested much. She knows what "come" means, but I have to get her attention by using her name or something to be sure she will come to me.

We also tell her to calm down when play is getting a bit rough with another dog or my children or she is being a bit hyper, I never really taught her that one, she just seems to understand what I mean when i tell her to calm down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We have "get it" for pick something up off the ground, and "take it" for take it from my hand, and "drop it", is for just dropping in front of me, and "thank you" for putting in my hand.

We are not using stay and release, for Jasmine a sit or lie down is automatically a command to stay in that position until she is told to do something else. I use "get up" to release her from a sit or lie down if I do not want her to do something else, "get up" is basically my command when I want her standing, but no stay is implied in that position.

Her emergency recall is actually a command we learned in her training class because she responds so well to it, "touch" where she touches her nose to my extended hand. I don't think I have ever had her not respond to it since she learned it., It is her only "squirrel proof" command. She also knows "go home" but that hasn't being really field tested much. She knows what "come" means, but I have to get her attention by using her name or something to be sure she will come to me.

We also tell her to calm down when play is getting a bit rough with another dog or my children or she is being a bit hyper, I never really taught her that one, she just seems to understand what I mean when i tell her to calm down.
I'm thoroughly impressed that you have a squirrel-proof command!! One of my puppy class handouts is "be more exciting than a squirrel". lol

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. @dibbythedog and @supaflyskye, I like the whistle idea because I can whistle very loud (although I need both hands free to do it). I may give that a try and see if it catches his attention. I also like the "enough" command. Roscoe is NOT a gentle player and gets VERY excited. Vet believes he'll reach 40-50 lbs when fully grown, so we definitely need a reliable "enough" command to stop him from going overboard playing with people and other animals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I teach basic obedience and I find that the words you use have to be comfortable for you. I use:
OK, Break, Bingo, place, take it, down, sit, come, front, get it, Give or out, wrong and Good..

Emergency recall is their name called three times ie: CooperCooperCooper..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.