Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys!

I was wondering how many of you did any work with elevators, and if how much work it took to get your dogs or pups comfortable with them.

My husband's work is an awesome place for socialization, as it's huge and they allow pets to be on campus after regular business hours. So last night, we took Ginny there and took a meandering walk around, both inside and out. However, there were two places that we had a bad experience: stepping outside into some really strong wind and random rain (not much I could do about that except go back inside, as it freaked her out so much that she wouldn't take treats) and the ELEVATOR.

The elevator was a bit my fault. I pushed too hard, and she was super afraid to step over the line into the elevator. I don't know if there was a slight breeze coming up the shaft or what, but she was really freaked out by coming inside. And then, instead of being smart and taking it slow, and just working on getting in and out, we went up a floor. She was terrified. :(

Soo, going to definitely do much more work with elevators, but a lot more slowly. Was just wondering if there were any particular things you did to help your dogs get comfortable with elevators.

Luckily, elevators are not life or death, and not something she'll likely have to encounter much in her life, but since they are unnerving even for those of us who understand them, I'd like to get her accustom to them in case there ever is an emergency where we need to be in one for some reason or another.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
How about a nice walk on campus, with you having an entire package of sliced hot dogs. She gets a piece when she goes in, when the elevator starts to move, and when she goes out.
Plus, a pie or something for the maintenance person might get ten minutes with the elevators open but not moving, so you can go in and out 20 times, using up half a package of hot dogs lol.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about a nice walk on campus, with you having an entire package of sliced hot dogs. She gets a piece when she goes in, when the elevator starts to move, and when she goes out.
Plus, a pie or something for the maintenance person might get ten minutes with the elevators open but not moving, so you can go in and out 20 times, using up half a package of hot dogs lol.
Haha, yes!

That was part of the problem -- I only took one stick of string cheese, and it quickly became obvious I would need wayy more than that, even breaking it into tiny pieces!

I had my husband with, so he could hold the door open. That part wasn't too tough. But bribing maintenance might not be a bad idea, either. ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
When Merlin was a puppy we lived on the sixth floor of an apartment building so I was forced to get him used to elevators. Remembering back, I believe he had a few fearful moments with the elevator and so I carried him on and off at first. As time went on, I began working with him by leading him on and off the elevator with treats until he was happy and willing to get on it without a treat.

You may have to start off slow and treat your pup when you are simply around the elevator, especially if the elevator dings when it reaches your floor, and work up from there.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Levi never had any exposure to elevators until we moved and had to stay in a hotel, he seemed totally unfazed by them.
However, when we went to ClickerExpo, one of the elevators had a glass back so you could watch yourself go up and down. Levi did not handle it well. He was very scared. We tried to do as much counter conditioning as we could, but I think I would need way more time.
Heidi, on the other hand, totally unfazed. :p

I would just stand near the elevator so she can watch people coming in and out and get used to the sound of doors opening/closing, whirring as it ascends/descends, clicking and treating for any looking and motion towards the elevator.

For my guys, I don't need them to love an elevator as we will rarely need to use one, I just need them to tolerate it.

Reactions: Sha
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.