Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lilys ALTs have been extremely high lately. I have to take her back in for a recheck either this week or next.
My question is can that make her not want to eat? Over the weekend she has been refusing food. This morning she finally ate her whole bowl. She acts completely fine otherwise, and her gums are nice and pink. Her vet also mentioned that we would have to do something different of they were still elevated at the next recheck. I wonder what we could even do different. Liver support?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
Zoe recently had high ALTs, too. My boss (I work at a vet clinic) said that it was probably from eating something that didn't agree with her. His exact words were "It's like getting punched in the gut." So yes, I would think that the high values is probably a tummy upset so she doesn't want to eat.

We re-tested after 2 weeks and her values went back down to normal.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
How high exactly are they?

If she's having liver issues she may not want to eat, no, because she's feeling ill. Is she icteric at all?

ALT is a liver-specific enzyme unlike some of the other possible liver-markers on the panel. It means that something is physically wrong with the liver cells themselves. Really hard to say for sure what though without more testing.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think normal ranges were 0-100. Heres were 496. They know that its being caused by her current meds, but Im not sure how they are going to do anything about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
She's probably super sensitive due to her issue, because I wouldn't have considered that high enough for her to be ill from it.

You can ask about starting something like Denamarin for liver protective properties...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know. Her levels have been much higher than that before. She doesnt act any different other than the food issue. Maybe shes just going through a rebelious phase. lol I just worry about every little thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I think normal ranges were 0-100. Heres were 496. They know that its being caused by her current meds, but Im not sure how they are going to do anything about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you ever tried milk thistle. There are no side effects involved however there are with Sam-e I would stick to something that seems to work without possible side effects. You could also use a cleansing diet to help the liver recover.

Dodds Liver Cleansing Diet | LIVESTRONG.COM

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. But, unfortunately Lily could never do that liver cleanse. She has an extremely strict diet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi first time poster :)

My dog also has elevated ATL or ALT liver enzyme levels. His were at 176 and normal range is up to 100 (if I remember right..) My vet said it could be caused from a high protein diet, which makes sense to me because I feed him a grain free diet. He gets a combination of Ziwipeak, Natures Variety Medallions, chicken wings and chicken organs. He doesn't get all these in one day, he gets one type of food for a few months, and then I switch it. He also said that although 176 is higher than normal, its nothing to be concerned about for now. He said that dogs need about a 22% protein diet and Im feeding him closer to 40%. Then he lectured me about how horrible raw diets are and how it could be detrimental to my dogs health and that eventually it would kill him. Blah, blah, blah :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is an extremely high protein level for a food. If your dog can't tolerate a raw diet, which clearly he can't because of his alts you should consider changing his diet to see if it helps lower the enzymes. Your vet is right 176 isn't bad, but if you don't change anything it will probably keep getting higher.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Emma,

I just checked the protein levels in his food. ZiwiPeak is much higher at 33% protein, and natures Variety Instinct is only 13% protein. And I have no idea what the protein content for raw chicken wings and organs is. I think I will switch him back to Natures Variety, and retest in 6 months to see if his levels go down some. While I agree with you and the vet that his levels are elevated (but nothing to be concerned about right now), I still believe that a raw diet is best for my dog.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi first time poster :)

My dog also has elevated ATL or ALT liver enzyme levels. His were at 176 and normal range is up to 100 (if I remember right..) My vet said it could be caused from a high protein diet, which makes sense to me because I feed him a grain free diet. He gets a combination of Ziwipeak, Natures Variety Medallions, chicken wings and chicken organs. He doesn't get all these in one day, he gets one type of food for a few months, and then I switch it. He also said that although 176 is higher than normal, its nothing to be concerned about for now. He said that dogs need about a 22% protein diet and Im feeding him closer to 40%. Then he lectured me about how horrible raw diets are and how it could be detrimental to my dogs health and that eventually it would kill him. Blah, blah, blah :)
I have been dealing with liver disease with my husband for over 20 years and it is the pesticides in meat that you have to worry about. I would switch to a organic food and add milk thistle to detoxify the liver. If there are elevated levels that means that the liver is overtaxed. The raw diet is not the problem it's the state of our meat today that is the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts