Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have heard good and bad things about it. I personally do not keep collars on my dogs so it would be pointless for them

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard good and bad things about it. I personally do not keep collars on my dogs so it would be pointless for them
anything more detailed than good and bad? they are very expensive....but if i can save the money, it would potentially solve several problems.... i only read a couple of things about them, the complaint was that something kept going out in the sensor....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yea that is the only bad thing. But I am sure if that is a malfunction in the system that they would have to replace it? As long as he couldn't get locked outside for hours on end while you are at work and his collar stopped working ya know?

Good things are "cats can't go out" LOL

Bad is one friend forgot to put the collar on when she got home and took the dog out of the crate (we learned at work to not leave collars on for precautions) so she just found a magnetic one and her cats were afraid of it so it worked out for her.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
When I worked at petco/petsmart they were regularly returned...less than half the people kept them. Don't know why tho.

We don't use a dog door for safety reasons (plus the cats would get out) its very easy to break into a house with a doggy door.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm not worried about someone breaking into the house...racoons and bears yes, but not people so much....easy to break a window too (had to do it once)and we have lots, within easy reach....more worried about the cats getting out....but a door that would only let the animal wearing the collar out, that would be cool, if it worked, i'm afraid they don't work well and that is probably why they are returned...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Magnetic strip at the bottom of the flap LOL but raccoons could get in if they pushed it, its not super heavy but it keeps out bugs. We bought a large one from someone off craigslist. It fits in your sliding glass door.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I saw it on The dog whisperer one day, it looks like an amazing idea. Most of the show was showing them getting the dog used to using the door.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
They work great and are expensive. Try to look online-either from the manufacturer or ebay etc. You can get them for about 1/4 of the price you'd pay in the store by ordering online.

If you put the collar on the dogs and not the cats-the cats can't get out ;)

We were thinking of getting one-but Mikey doesn't go in the yard unsupervised (yeah, we're neurotic!) so it would kind of be pointless :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I worry about robbers, we have one that we put in when we are home and take out when we are not. Its the kind for the sliding doors, I like it because its not permanent.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They work great and are expensive. Try to look online-either from the manufacturer or ebay etc. You can get them for about 1/4 of the price you'd pay in the store by ordering online.

If you put the collar on the dogs and not the cats-the cats can't get out ;)

We were thinking of getting one-but Mikey doesn't go in the yard unsupervised (yeah, we're neurotic!) so it would kind of be pointless :)
you mean the electronic kind i'm assuming? clover's yard is more like a dog run, small right along the side of the house with a seven foot tall solid wood fence around it.

living in the mountains has its benefits for sure!;)

anyway, i was worried that the door may stay open long enough after the dog went out for the cats to jump out after.....believe me, atleast one of the 3 we ahve would figure that out in no time flat and she is the one that is most likely to wander off on her own....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Thats a legit concern...I wonder how long they stay open. Your cats may totally figure out to follow close behind Clover.

I'd check the brand you are considering on youtube maybe? I found this video-it does look like they stay open a while
YouTube - Power Pet Door

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks mikey....i'll have to watch it when i get home from work.....i went to a couple of websites but they showed a cartoon like thing so i couldn't get a good idea of it....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you again mikey, i just watched the video...i don't think it would work out for me. it looks like there is plenty of time for all 3 cats to dart out after clover....and then they wouldn't be able to get back in! pretty cool tho...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.