Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, who turned 12 in October, has had a rough couple of years.

Fall 2016, she had an anal sac tumor removed (biopsy showed adenocarcinoma).
As of 4 months ago, no sign of metastasis.

4 months ago, however, she ate a frog, which led to vomiting & major diarrhea. She was treated with a course of antibiotics and recovered.

Since then, however, she's been losing weight, despite eating a lot. Her first poop of the day is sometimes normal, but her poops otherwise are light brown, almost orange & mushy- cowpie.

The vet put her on metronidazole, but it didn't make a difference. We've also given her prescription dog food (i/d) but lately, she won't eat it. Instead I've been giving her her old Iams or a mix of the two.

My guess is that her pancreas isn't producing enough enzymes and so most of what she eats just isn't digested (I can in fact see the rice, etc. in her poop).

I've just added a non-prescription enzyme supplement sold by Amazon as well as probiotics, and am waiting to see if they help.

I'll probably take her to the vet next week, but wonder what else to consider. Anything else to get her digestive system to slow down and absorb more?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Unexplained weight loss is never a good sign. Given her age, there are so many things that could be contributing, Liver or Kidney failure, or a thousand other things. Let your Vet figure out what is going on, as the problem will certainly dictate what your course of action needs to be.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The metronidazole caused diarrhea in my dog with IBD and food allergies. He was disabled a year ago put on it and it helped initially. For months he's been having liquid diarrhea while still being on it. I ran out for two days and he suddenly had almost normal poops. I put him back on it and liquid diarrhea again. I took him off it again and now weeks of normal poops. No more diarrhea.
Has she been tested for giardia and all kinds of parasites and communicable diseases including tickborne diseases? Could she have gotten something from the frog?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, another symptom: she had a bit of incontenence.

It was certainly less than four hours since she was out.

When I took her out, she peed far more than usual and when we came back in, I notice a bit of urine on her bed... maybe 2-4 ounces im guessing... soaked in.

Changed her bed (She has a second in my home office).

She was clearly upset about urinating inside and needed a lot of reassurance from me.

I'm going to do all I can to get her to the vet tomorrow - problem is we moved last year and our new vet is terrible. It will be a long drive, but our old vet was great and has cared for her since she was a puppy.

My wife gets up at 6am, and I left a note for her to call the old vet. I'll be up late & will take my dog out before I go to bed around 2am.

It just occurred to me... She needed out around 4am a couple nights ago.

·
Registered
785 Posts
awful. And i think having a vet you trust, will help all involved.
Given her age, and her incontinence distress, a vet trip.
Horrid when illness strikes. Especially when they are in double digits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a long drive & various tests, we now at least know the cause of her urination issues, just a UT infection. So, that's good news. Couple antibiotics.

But, her liver panel had very high levels & Monday, I'm going back for an ultrasound. I should have asked for the specific numbers, but will have to wait.

My dog, though, had a fun trip in the car, sniffed around and explored at the vet, etc..
Back home, she's had a good appetite and had a couple bowls of chicken, rice, and sweet potato.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Glad things are coming under control. UTI's are uncomfortable and cause lots of issues, but they typically respond well to antibiotics. You do need more details from your Vet regarding the abnormal liver values. At age 12, some variation from normal would not be uncommon, but again your Vet is your best source of information and for a prognosis along with a treatment plan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another bit of positive news,

Though her poop is still on the soft side, it's color is normal. I think the pancreas enzymes are kicking in... no longer bile orange looking poop.

Wish I had her liver values, but will just have to wait.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Really sounds promising. Hopefully she will hang in there for more years, which certainly would be great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I returned to the vet today for an ultrasound and they saw various nodules in the liver and one up against the pancreas. I was told the nodules aren't uncommon in older dogs, but their suspicion is cancer.

I'm going to explore what I can do to improve her liver function, and hopefully with her pancreas enzyme supplements, she'll regain some weight. Maybe she has only a month left, or maybe much more.

What's been getting to me today is regret that we moved to a new house... our last one was so wonderful for her.... an acre of land, great areas for catch, a creek, critters galore, loads of fun daily. I wish we could spend our days there again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts