Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

My dog was diagnosed a couple of weeks back with Ehrlichia, and I am more than freaking out about getting him healthy again. He has been prescribed Doxycycline. He is about 10 months old, weighs 57 lbs, and has been given 100 mg to take 2x a day for 6 weeks. He was either at the end of the acute phase, or in the sub clinical phase.

Does this seem like the proper dosage to kick the Ehrlichia in the butt? :(

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Hello all -

My dog was diagnosed a couple of weeks back with Ehrlichia, and I am more than freaking out about getting him healthy again. He has been prescribed Doxycycline. He is about 10 months old, weighs 57 lbs, and has been given 100 mg to take 2x a day for 6 weeks. He was either at the end of the acute phase, or in the sub clinical phase.

Does this seem like the proper dosage to kick the Ehrlichia in the butt? :(

Plumbs, the veterinary drug book, lists the dose as:

For acute E. canis infection: 5 mg/kg PO q12h or 10 mg/kg PO q24h for 14–16 days

So, in your pups case at 26 kg --> the dose would be about 130 mg twice a day.

That being said, your vet probably has a specific reason for using the dosage that he/she chose so I wouldn't mess with it. Could be anecdotal evidence that this dosage and timeline works better-- who knows. You'd have to specifically ask them for that.

Just monitor your pup very carefully and make sure he is on excellent tick preventative!!!! Frontline Plus, Advantix etc.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the response. I'm trying to learn as much about this disease and treatment as I can, and I think I've read all the info on every dog medical website there is! I am just so scared and want him to get better!

Also, thank you for the welcome. Glad to be here!

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Just looked up some more info... usually chronic is treated for 6 weeks. Perhaps your vet prefers to be safe than sorry... ?

What tick preventative do you have him on now?

What were your pup's symptoms?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually the one who requested more meds! I'm being over-the-top because I want to get rid of it for good, my pup is the love of my life! Right now he is on Advantix. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, and all the had was runny eyes and shortness of breath. Both sudden, totally out of nowhere. Took him in for a heartworm test and the vet gave me the bad news of ehrlichia.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
I suspect your pup will be fine, you got lucky with clinical signs! Lots of dogs with Ehrlichia develop low platelet counts...

Keep up the Advantix-- if I were you, I'd use it year-round since you've got Ehrlichia in the area.

Sounds like you and your vet are totally on top of this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.