Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd posted the other day that DH saw a worm in Jav's stool. We took him to the vet yesterday and their 'float' test turned up nothing, also did gland expressing and saw nothing in the area. Sent us home with Dolpac for each dog just in case, and we sent their stool off for a (very pricey) lab test.

This morning I saw a worm in his stool, and if my Google-fu's any good I'm pretty sure it's a roundworm. They've each had the pill now and I'm in the process of washing EVERYTHING.

The vet was horrified that we don't have them on a monthly wormer, but they've not had an issue before and don't eat feces. They're on Brewer's Yeast which keeps them flea-free, and I prefer not having chemicals dropped in them needlessly - I'm very conscious of the high cancer rates in dogs now.

The vet of course thinks that's crazy, but she also thinks unprocessed food and feeding raw is the worst ever - only the food they sell is appropriate - so we have some differences in opinion. She was happy that we now feed a processed food, though had never heard of THK, which surprised me.

For anyone who's dogs have had worms - did you humans ever get it? I know there's occasional saliva transfer from them even though I discourage kisses. A week ago they licked my husband's fingers when he gave some cooked chicken that he was eating - he didn't wash his hands after. Jav licked my mouth a few days ago to wake me up. Vet figures we should head to the doctor ourselves. Gosh I'm feeling horrified.

Is a monthly deworming indeed the norm? After reading how easy it is for them to get, I'm pretty nervous. I could easily wash their feet every time we come in from a walk or potty break (though at 5 times a day that's a brutal 40 feet washes!) if it meant not having to give them unnecessary medications.

Just asking for what YOU do and your feelings on it - I know no one is giving medical advice - as I'm trying to find out what's normal to do.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Both of my guys are on Heartgard (For Heartworm, Roundworm, and Hookworm) and Nexgard (for Fleas and Ticks). It is so warm here that the nasties seem to be a problem all year-round.
Before Heidi was on a routine wormer she had hookworm. My husband and I were never affected, despite lots of puppy kisses. :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I

Is a monthly deworming indeed the norm? After reading how easy it is for them to get, I'm pretty nervous. I could easily wash their feet every time we come in from a walk or potty break (though at 5 times a day that's a brutal 40 feet washes!) if it meant not having to give them unnecessary medications.

Just asking for what YOU do and your feelings on it - I know no one is giving medical advice - as I'm trying to find out what's normal to do.
You could just use healing clay if they get them frequently. The clay won't let them live in your dogs stomachs. Its natural and it works. I use it for teeth
cleaning and externally for cuts and internally for stomach upsets. You want a food grade product for internal use. You can use it daily without harm. If your pets are on any type of medication use clay 2 hours after any medication the clay sees it as a toxin and removes it.
Parasites
Calcium bentonite clay is a natural de-wormer. It gently removes parasites from the intestinal tract and safely eliminates them- all without the use of harmful chemicals or medications. In addition, the clay also cleanses the digestive tract of bad bacteria, viruses and fungi, which allows the animal to better absorb nutrients from its diet. This detoxifying action also aids the animal’s liver and kidney, which can easily become overloaded with toxins.
https://www.earthsnaturalclay.com/blogs/blog/87079623-heal-pets-naturally-with-calcium-bentonite-clay

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Calcium bentonite clay is a natural de-wormer. It gently removes parasites from the intestinal tract and safely eliminates them- all without the use of harmful chemicals or medications. In addition, the clay also cleanses the digestive tract of bad bacteria, viruses and fungi, which allows the animal to better absorb nutrients from its diet. This detoxifying action also aids the animal’s liver and kidney, which can easily become overloaded with toxins.
https://www.earthsnaturalclay.com/blogs/blog/87079623-heal-pets-naturally-with-calcium-bentonite-clay
@Dawnben I've never heard of this - thanks so much! I'll do some researching on it but so far it looks good!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question! I've realized that their toys might have eggs on them as it's transferred by saliva (am I wrong?). Fin has about 7 favourites; some I could chuck but I can't get The Dognald nor her favourite stuffless beaver anymore. Dognald can't go through the wash - any idea if freezing these will kill off eggs?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
The roundworms and whipworms are passed around through feces, so long as you practice good handwashing after cleaning up after they use the bathroom you should not get infected by them. Roundworm Infection in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospitals
Whipworms in Small Animals: Gastrointestinal Parasites of Small Animals: Merck Veterinary Manual

Hookworms are a bit more of a problem as they can get through skin. Hookworm Signs, Diagnose, & Treatment for Infection in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospitals

Tapeworms also shouldn't be a problem unless you ingest an infected flea.

I have my boy on a heartworm pill that also takes care of most of the intestinal worms. Here heartworm is epidemic in dogs so I need to have him on that preventative, that it also takes care of other worms is a bonus.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've never kept my dogs on a monthly dewormer, I normally just deworm them once or twice a year. Generally worms aren't a big deal around here, unless your dog eats a lot of dead things or poop with worms in it. Mine had hookworms once, but they never had any symptoms, it just showed up on their yearly fecal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The roundworms and whipworms are passed around through feces, so long as you practice good handwashing after cleaning up after they use the bathroom you should not get infected by them....
I have my boy on a heartworm pill that also takes care of most of the intestinal worms. Here heartworm is epidemic in dogs so I need to have him on that preventative, that it also takes care of other worms is a bonus.
The vet explained that the eggs can pass through their saliva, and when they lick our hands the eggs can be on us, then we eat something, etc. I've passed a treat to him and likely had a bit of a lick, then eaten something myself. Plus about a week ago he licked my mouth - generally a no-no but it happened so fast.

She also said they can lick their butt and get eggs on their tongue, then lick their fur. Then we pet them, and put our hands near our mouths or eat something. I'm not sure how commonly this happens, but I viewed our home as coated in eggs today and went crazy washing everything.

We don't have heartworm here but they both were treated as they're from California. Unfortunately some jerks in the neighbourhood don't clean up after their dogs and wormy poops just spread eggs around. Then other dogs (like ours) walk through them, and clean their feet later, and bammo - worms. :(

A vet friend suggests having baby wipes at the door and wiping their feet when they come in, that's pretty doable, and hopefully helps prevent this again.

·
Registered
388 Posts
All my dogs are on monthly heartworm/intestinal parasite and flea/tick prevention. Good hygiene practices such as hand washing after cleaning the yard, gardening, etc is basically all you need to do. Hookworms are more prevalent in warm climates. Walking bare foot can expose you to this parasite.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am convinced that vets really don't know anything special about dog nutrition and exercise - it's sort of like expecting your doctor to give you nutritional advice. Sure, they're generally knowledgeable about nutrition, but it's not their area of expertise and they don't have more training on it than a lay person.

That said, their training is in practicing animal medicine, and that includes disease prevention and treatment.

I'd defer to the vet on all medical matters. It's what they are there for. Monthly deworming is indeed the norm.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Monthly deworming is indeed the norm.
Monthly flea treating also seems to be the norm, but is likely a contributor to the high cancer rates in dogs. As well, it's unnecessary.

Has this being the norm only something that's occurred in the last 20 years, like the flea treating?

·
Registered
261 Posts
hmm, I don't think a monthly flea treatment is quite as strongly recommended as a monthly heartworm preventative.

Once a dog has fleas it's a pain in the butt to get rid of, but your dog probably isn't going to die from fleas as long as you stay on top of it.

Heartworm on the other hand is a pretty serious. Many people contribute the increase of the average life expectancy of dogs to their monthly heartworm preventative.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm talking about regular dewormers for intestinal worms, not heartworm medication which is a different thing. We don't have heartworm here.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I'm talking about regular dewormers for intestinal worms, not heartworm medication which is a different thing. We don't have heartworm here.
That surprises me quite a bit. Given that Vancouver is traditionally warm and wet, I would assume you would have a decent number of mosquitos.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That surprises me quite a bit. Given that Vancouver is traditionally warm and wet, I would assume you would have a decent number of mosquitos.
It's not about the number of mosquitos it's the temperature that matters so that the heartworms can complete all their life stages and infect a dog.

There are laboratory studies that indicate that development to the L3 stage requires the equivalent of a steady 24-hour daily temperature in excess of 64°F for approximately one month. Intermittent daily declines in temperature below the developmental threshold of 57°F for short periods (<2hrs) retard maturation, even when the average daily temperature supports continued development. At a minimum daily temperature of 80° F 10 to 14 days are required for development of microfilariae to the infective stage.
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documents/heartworm.pdf

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh, I didn't know about any other regular dewormer. My dog has never taken another, and my vet has never recommended us to.

That said, the heartworm dewormer does get rid of other worms too. He had a regular dewormer when I first adopted him as a puppy, and later when he got worms again after eating a duck in the park, the vet told me the regular heartworm preventative should take care of it.

Though now that I have this new information about temperature maybe I will reconsider!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both of my dogs are from California, and one hadn't received a heartworm test before she was brought here. When I found this out I went to my vet to request the test, and they had to check into it - it's such a non-issue here that they never do that test.

A 5 hour drive north-east of here there are heartworm issues. It's an area that's desert - basically the northern version of Arizona. But here, no problems. We don't have much of a mosquito issue here either. While we do have hot temperatures through the summer, we also have drought (from about April to September) so not a great environment for mosquitoes, thank goodness. ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
where on earth did someone 'learn' the flea preventatives caused cancers? That is ridiculous. However, I am not advocating the preventative use of parasite meds if one does not live in a climate that is not loaded with parasites. Here in Southern California, which is basically a desert, we have relatively few parasites in the environment and weekly or monthly prevention for parasites (particularly internal ones) is probably unnecessary. Fleas might be a bit more of a concern, particularly in the warmer months, but many areas of So Cal are also basically flea-free. But even for those areas that are not, as long as your pet is not flea allergic, todays flea treatments are so effective, safe (yes, SAFE) and fast, preventative flea treatment is not necessarily essential... one can treat their pets once the fleas have arrived, as they are so easy to get rid of. Heart worms are also rare in So Cal. Many still give preventative and we sell a lot of it, but it is probably not needed for most pets that do not spend the evenings outdoors (when mosquitoes come out) or who don't have a lot of standing water about.

Now if you live on the east coast, particularly the south east, I think that is a completely different situation, as high humidity is a perfect environment for parasites to be present and in large numbers year round. I have never lived in such an environment, but my parasite recommendations would probably be different for those that live in that sort of situation- especially concerning the need for heart worm preventatives!

·
Registered
260 Posts
We do a monthly pill that treats for heartworm, other worms and fleas. It does not kill the fleas but makes them infertile so it kills off the flea population. We don't really have a problem with fleas through winter but this winter has been so mild they are exploding! We are having to put them on a topical and put my cats on a monthly flea/wormer. My cats have never been on a monthly wormer cause the vet never seemed worried about it. Just dewormed twice a year. This year though she has said the fleas are so bad they need to be on something. They already have tapeworms from the serious explosion of fleas in my area and I am even being eatin up! We are spraying our house down daily but its an ongoing war!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 20 Posts