Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lily my little aussie is a food guzzler. She hardly will chew her food at all. I put her on a slow bowl but it does not slow her down by much. Then soon after she throws up her whole meal. Is this because she eat to fast? is there any way to slow her down even more so she will chew her food. This does not happen all the time. It comes and goes.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
It is most likely because she is wolfing down her food. I would try feeding her from something like a Kong.

Personally, I'm a big fan of this one: Kong Wobbler

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did get a kick out of this. I went out thrift shopping and I could not believe it. I found that Meal Dispensing Toy in the pet area for a $1. I think it was fate for me to find it. So far I don't think she has totally figured out how to get the food out of it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You could also try giving her smaller meals through out the day. When we first got Sawyer he used to scarf down his food, so what I started doing to slow him down was give him a handful at a time. This way I controlled how fast he was eating, and he was only getting a small amount each handful instead of the whole meal all at once.
One other thing I recommend is this treat ball ,http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Tricky-Treat-Large/dp/B0002DK26M, I found it at petsmart. The larger size (what I have) easily fits a large amount of kibble, and it comes out at a good rate. I think the last time I gave him his dinner in it (1/2 cup + 1/3 cup) it lasted around half an hour to 40 minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This happened with our puppy I recomend even though it is a pain, hand feeding the food to your dog. It worked great with us and now she kind of knows to eat slow or we will take the food away for a few minutes. I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definitely sounds like she's eating too quickly! You've gotten some great suggestions here - hope they help!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Lily my little aussie is a food guzzler. She hardly will chew her food at all. I put her on a slow bowl but it does not slow her down by much. Then soon after she throws up her whole meal. Is this because she eat to fast? is there any way to slow her down even more so she will chew her food. This does not happen all the time. It comes and goes.
Have you tried wetting the food? Dogs dont really have to chew their food, their stomach does the digesting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with my beagle when she first came to my home! It's frustrating, but here's what I did. I have multiple dogs so I would lock herself and me in the bathroom and hand feed her a little at a time twice a day. Eventually I was able to set a small bowl on the floor and she would eat like a "normal" dog and now we haven't had any problems since! I know it's time consuming, but if nothing else works this might help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
With my new Aussie puppy we feed her smaller meals throughout the day because shes so young she needs to eat more often. She starts to chew on things not-food when she's hungry lol.

We're feeding her Earthborn puppy and it has small little bites. The bigger sized pieces are probably harder for your dog to digest whole so if she wont chew them might as well make them easier to digest. I also noticed when feeding our puppy treats telling her to take it nice helps slow down her eating. Hand feed her and make sure she takes it nice instead of gobbling it from your hand. If she wants it bad enough she'll slow down. Make sure you do this everytime you give her a treat, don't let her take it badly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts