Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So ive had this problem for a while, and I have no idea how to stop it. My dog will eat anything she finds when on a walk. I just came back from a walk where she got one of those little round bones from a lamb chop, a cat poo, and something else that I didnt get to in time so I have no idea what it is.

She is fairly well trained to drop it when asked, and she dropped the bone happily, and the half of the poo that she hadnt already eaten when she got to me, but it still concerns me that she picks these things up in the first place, especially because I live in a place where there is a chance (slim, but its still a chance) that there will be poison baits around (farmers use them for feral cats and foxes, and although its not around town, birds can pick up the baits and drop them in town).

So just wondering if anyone knows of any training techniques I could try to stop her from doing this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
If she has a good drop it, you should be able to train a really good "leave it". Levi knows "off" as both "spit out what is in your mouth" as well as "don't touch that thing". You can also teach a default "Leave it" where your dog isn't allowed to eat anything off the ground, only things that you give to him.

Kikopup has a nice video series on it:

Leave It Part 1

Leave It Part 2

1 - 2 of 2 Posts