Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my 10 months old GSD mix is now 27.6kg, and we give him his meal (kibbles + wet can food) twice per day. But he's been eating less and less, and we can't understand why. We thought it was coz he's growing up and that's just a phase, but it seems to take long to pass this phase. He would take some time to eat a meal (we leave the bowl inside the crate) and sometimes he won't even finish the bowl after we come home from work. So that in the end, he might sometimes end up just eating one meal or less than that in a day.

He doesn't seem sick, he's calmer but is still active, so that we think that he seems fine. But well, aside of the meals he also seem to care less and less for the snacks we get him.

We give him very little human food sometimes, although it's so rare that it doesn't seem the reason of why he's not eating much of his meals and treats.

Each meal we give him less than it's supposed (it should be 2 cups of kibbles based on the guess that his adult weight would be around 35kg, but we just give 1 cup and mix it with some canned dog food for better taste).

So what do you guys think??

Another possibility might be coz he's not very exercised so that he doesn't need to eat much (he gets at least 3/4 daily walks that can be at least 20mins to an hour)?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Some dogs are just picky eaters. Holly has free choice food because shes a picker and sometimes she'll only eat one "meal". She self-regulates. Our small dog could never self-regulate so she has to eat meals.

You can try switching his food-- perhaps he just doesn't like what you're giving him. Holly was a "picker" no matter what food she was on, but we tried a few things to make sure.

If he's not vomiting, having diarrhea or lethargic, then he's probably okay medically.

If you're overly worried, have a vet check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys, my 10 months old GSD mix is now 27.6kg, and we give him his meal (kibbles + wet can food) twice per day. But he's been eating less and less, and we can't understand why. We thought it was coz he's growing up and that's just a phase, but it seems to take long to pass this phase. He would take some time to eat a meal (we leave the bowl inside the crate) and sometimes he won't even finish the bowl after we come home from work. So that in the end, he might sometimes end up just eating one meal or less than that in a day.

He doesn't seem sick, he's calmer but is still active, so that we think that he seems fine. But well, aside of the meals he also seem to care less and less for the snacks we get him.

We give him very little human food sometimes, although it's so rare that it doesn't seem the reason of why he's not eating much of his meals and treats.

Each meal we give him less than it's supposed (it should be 2 cups of kibbles based on the guess that his adult weight would be around 35kg, but we just give 1 cup and mix it with some canned dog food for better taste).

So what do you guys think??

Another possibility might be coz he's not very exercised so that he doesn't need to eat much (he gets at least 3/4 daily walks that can be at least 20mins to an hour)?
Had the same problem with my dog.Does he scoot?If he does he has worms.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What does scoot mean?? (sorry English isn't my main language)
Scooting is when a dog drags it's butt across the floor. They do it if it itches..... usually scooting is from impacted (full) anal glands or irritation (like allergies). Worms are not a very common cause of scooting, but deworming is never a bad thing in my opinion.

As far as the decreasing appetite.... Is your dog losing weight? any vomiting/diarrhea/soft stool? anything else changed or anything else concerning you? If the dog isn't losing weight, it tells me he's getting enough calories. What food is he eating? What is the canned food? Does he lick off the canned and leave the kibble? Dogs are smart.... if they figure out that when they don't eat you "sweeten the pot" and offer something better... they can hold out for a long time. I know of a dog that held out for 7 days because it was waiting for something better. When 'better' never came, he ate his food and has never refused a meal since (but that is an extreme case, in a dog who had been playing it's owner for tablescraps for years and winning.... I would not recommend playing that game with a dog unless you are absolutely sure there is nothing else going on).

As far as bag recommendations, they are just a starting point, it's normal to feed less than the bag suggests... there are some studies that show that a dog's actual maintenance energy requirement (MER) can vary by as much as 30% in either direction from the calculated amount, just because of activity, lifestyle, spay/neuter status, etc.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Good advice from folks..

I will just add that my dogs' appetites vary enormously according to their exercise and the weather. They also require less food as adults than they did as pups.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm I didn't notice him scooting, although checking him for worms might not be a bad idea, just to be sure.

He seems healthy and energetic, and he's been gaining weight. Yesterday we gave him tastier wet food with the kibbles and he seemed to have eaten it well.
Since a few months ago he started to eat less so that we added rice and he loved it, but then when he stopped being interested in it again, so we added wet food and he loved it again. But lately he seems not to eat much again.
It might be that he's becoming pickier after having tasted tastier food even for a bit, it might also be lack of vigorous exercise since he doesn't get active enough nor burns much calories. But well, I've got him some vitamins that makes him have more appetite so hopefully he will start eating more again.

But well, if he's really eating less specially due to not exercising much, should I worry?? He seems fine without much exercise even if he's active, although should I worry?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
From what you are describing, it does not sound like worms. If he is healthy, energetic and gaining weight, then I think you're worrying too much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what you are describing, it does not sound like worms. If he is healthy, energetic and gaining weight, then I think you're worrying too much.
.My dog got up in the morning playing and went to bed playing and gained lbs.but he would not eat.After four days I took him to the vet.He had hook worms and is still under the doctors care.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Hookworms can definitely cause some serious illness, much more than you or the OP are describing. I'm glad your dog is being treated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts