Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 days ago I ran out of puppy food, due to late delivery. I gave her mainly brown rice, carrots and a hot dog for 2 days (ham or peanut butter or egg or pretzels sometimes added). The first day or so back to her normal food I remember she was eating it just fine. The past days, she is either only eating half or none at all, if I add peanut butter, she'd eat it all. Or if I feed her by hand. So she never missed a meal.
My puppy used to speed eat her food, so this behavior is quite strange. She still begs for whatever food we eat and take treats. I thought maybe because it was quite hot the past days, her appetite reduced, but yesterday it has cooled down quite a bit.
She is now almost 8 months old, a typical teenager.
No noticeable change in behavior or poop, my husband thinks, she might not be growing as much, so she does not need that much food, but she did gain her typical 1.5 lb/week.
She had eaten some toys and stuff in the past that she ended up throwing up, but she never stopped eating. Any idea?

·
Registered
221 Posts
It sounds to me like she's decided she likes 'people food' better! Most important - have you checked the ingredients of your peanut butter? Many contain Xylitol, which is poisonous for dogs.

I would try to make her food tastier with a healthier alternative, such as some salt-free broth - sometimes just a little boiled water added (and allowed to cool) can be enough to release the smell and make it more tempting. Then, when she's got into the habit of eating enthusiastically, you can (if you want) gradually reduce the amount of whatever you're adding and she may well be happy with just the food. Some people always add a spoonful of wet dog food onto their dog's kibble to make it tastier.

Or you could consider that maybe her current food isn't that enticing anyway and investigate others that she might prefer. I can't help you there as I'm in the UK, and also raw feed my dog.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its been 6 weeks with my one year old lab that i am facing this with. As soon as he turned a year old he just kept eating lesser and lesser of his kibble and now he's refusing to eat home cooked meals of chicken, fish, vegetables and rice. I have tried everything - now i am concerned and i will be taking him to the vet tomorrow to get all his vitals checked. He use to be soo food motivated and now he's just against it. I have a feeling u need to get your dog checked out as well just to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts