Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It drives me bananas that my dogs eat grass. My 11 year old Ridgeback has always sampled grass - especially if in a new environment. I'm not sure that she eats it but she definitely puts her mouth on it. I adopted a puppy in June and she's learned this behavior from the older dog. Sometimes at night they look like a couple of cows in the yard. It drives me crazy. It's not anything that requires a vet visit because it's behavioral. I'm just not sure how to get them to stop. Especially the puppy. She's more compulsive about it - habitually chomping through the grass and I know she actually eats it.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
. Especially the puppy. She's more compulsive about it - habitually chomping through the grass and I know she actually eats it.
One of mine is a cow also but its fine. The other eats it sometimes. There is no harm in it. There are certain grasses this time of year that are yummy. No worries its harmless.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Why would that drive you "bananas"??? LOL. Dogs often eat grass if their belly is upset. Just a natural behavior. Let dogs be dogs. What do you feed?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would that drive you "bananas"??? LOL. Dogs often eat grass if their belly is upset. Just a natural behavior. Let dogs be dogs. What do you feed?
Every vet I've ever had said that's a myth. Dogs eat grass to explore, cos they're bored, or because it tastes good. It's annoying to me because in the morning when she's supposed to be outside doing her business she's just standing around like a goof eating grass. And it looks dumb to house guests when your dog is in the yard grazing like a goat

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know my dog eats grass when her tummy is upset. Although there's so many other theories, it could be anything. I had a GSD who would eat grass all the time, she was my little grazing cow.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you're worried about pesticides/weed killers, or just the general problem of your dog eating something which you have no control over, that it makes sense.

When my dog is doing that I throw a few salad greens in his food bowl. Just a tiny bit. That seems to curb his grass cravings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts