Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I have been recommended three different grain-free foods to feed a puppy. I won't actually have the puppy for several more months but am researching and want to make a decision before I bring him home. He will grow to be a 20-25 pound cockapoo (will only be 8 weeks old and 5-6 pounds when I get him). I am pretty sure he will be weaned onto Purina Pro-plan by the breeder and want to get him off that as soon as he is settled in.

Dod Food Advisor gives Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural 5 stars. It is for "All life stages" so kibbles I am guessing aren't as small as "puppy" kibble.

Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy gets 4 stars, is a little less expensive and has a special puppy formula. They recommend switching between that one and the fish one to switch protein sources. Does this cause upset stomach?

Wellness Core Puppy also gets 4 stars.

My gut is telling me go with Earthborn b/c it gets the highest ratings, but then I go on amazon to read ratings and they are all over the place.

Anyone on here use any of these foods for their puppy? How was the switch from the "old" food to one of the above, high-quality foods?

Thanks for any info :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Before my guys started having strange digestive issues, they loved Taste of the Wild. I've also tried Earthborn Hollistic and liked it quite a bit. They are currently on a limited ingredient kibble, but I don't think you can do wrong with either of those brands.

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have used both Earthborn and Wellness. Currently, my 1.5 yo Akita mix gets Blue Buffalo Life Protection Adult (I may switch him, after hearing about Blue Buffalo recalls) and my 6 month old puppy gets Wellness Large Breed Puppy. They used to both eat Earthborn Holistic Large Breed Puppy food.

The reason I switched was because neither of them seemed to be fond of the taste. Actually, my puppy would only eat about 3/4 of what he was supposed to be having. Once I changed him to Wellness, this problem went away. However, Earthborn is slightly superior in quality and they offer a nice frequent buyer program. If my dogs would eat Earthborn like they do their new foods, I would switch back in a second. The only real drawback is that Earthborn is not supplied at large pet store chains (Petsmart/Petco), so it can be hard to find.

Also, make sure you are feeding your puppy "puppy food". Even if the food is labeled for all ages, I would advise you to use one that is specifically formulated for puppies only.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 8 month old Norwegian Elkhound loves Earthborn. I started her on the puppy formula. She was on Orijen for a bit but didn't love it as much. I just recently switched to the adult food and she loves those as well. There are enough flavors that we switch it up so she doesn't get bored.

She has had no digestive issues while on it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
All 3 are fine foods. I would base my decision on he dog once you get it. Choose one that matches your budget, if it doesn't work then go another direction. I personally chose Acana, and Orijen, and it turns out it works for my dog. But I know plenty of pups that it doesn't work for.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Personally I loved Earthborn, however I had an allergy boy that could not tolerate it.. So we went with Zignature.. I agree with KayWilson, try them all, for 6 weeks minimum {unless you see some major issues arise before hand, than by all means switch to something else sooner.}, see which one works best for you, your dogs, and your budget.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why not get a bag of each and feed them all. Can't get a more balanced diet than that, and all three are good foods. Also chuck in a chicken neck or meaty bone a few times a week. Good reviews can be found on petfoodratings.org as well as dogfoodadvisor.com

·
Registered
724 Posts
It's really about what works best for your dog. If it were me though I'd start with Earthborn and try that first, they've never had any recalls and it's a smaller company then the other two.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My puppy was pooping way too much from the Zignature so starting today we are trying FROMM grain free puppy food. Also, Zignature's kibbles were too big for her. Wish us luck. I thought about Wellness but I dislike the green tea they put in all their foods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why not get a bag of each and feed them all. Can't get a more balanced diet than that, and all three are good foods. Also chuck in a chicken neck or meaty bone a few times a week. Good reviews can be found on petfoodratings.org as well as dogfoodadvisor.com

Actually, that is not a good idea. If there is a problem , there is no way to tell which food brand it is. Mixing food brands together is a bad idea.

Consider: eating Chinese food, with Italian food, and Mexican food ALL AT ONCE. A recipe for disaster .

:eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Consider: eating Chinese food, with Italian food, and Mexican food ALL AT ONCE. A recipe for disaster .
Sounds good to me. Except the Italian, I don't like Italian all that much.

Tho you're comparing apples and oranges. Human digestion and dog digestion aren't the same thing. Unless you're proposing feeding the Chinese, Italian and Mexican to the dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts