Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved cities about a year ago and it is quite windy where we live now. We brought our 8 year old mastiff along with us and he has been having a hard time adjusting to the wind. We were out one day and he completely destroyed our front door from the inside. He has done serious damage to the back deck sliding doors as well. He has also destroyed another door in a different room. Needless to say, he's become quite an expensive pet.

Someone suggested we get a crate for him which we did. He is a strong dog and destroyed it completely while it was windy and we were out. It was also suggested to get him a relaxant for anxiety. We tried this with little to no effect. We have basically become prisoners of our own home. The wind is unpredictable and can start and stop at a moment's notice.

He can deal with the wind when we are home but on his own, it's a whole different story. I figured in a year, he would get use to it but this has not been the case. I sit with him outside on the deck when it's windy and he's fine. The minute I'm gone, he starts to panic.

We are running out of options here and he is becoming a huge financial burden. I'm not the type of owner who will give a dog up when the going gets tough but I do need to rectify this. It has become impossible to go out without leaving a human behind.

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
It sounds like textbook separation anxiety to me! The wind is perhaps contributing, but I'm not convinced he's all that bothered by it since he'll sit with you on your deck while it's windy.

You didn't say what medication you tried, and it's a really good idea with an adult dog showing a new behavior, to have the vet check out his health first to rule out other causes!

But I have seen CBD oil work well, or a product called Endurapet Plus work equally well to help calm anxious dogs.

Here's a link to some additional info:

Notice that your recent move, is enough to trigger separation anxiety. If added to that there has been one or more schedule changes in your new place that probably contributed to it as well.

Hope you're able to find relief for you buddy soon! In the meantime, if it were me I'd be purchasing a more bomb proof crate... Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,972 Posts
The crate wont solve the anxiety though.

Is he ok alone when it isn't windy? Is he ok in a crate when there is no wind?

Is it the sound of the wind - have you tried playing music fairly loud when you leave him to mask the sound?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Don't know what kind of medications you have tried but sometimes what helps one dog doesn't help another. There are several: fluoxetine, amitriptyline, sileo, acepromazine, trazadone just to name a few. Also you can try Relax my dog on you tube. There are lots of different videos with music to help an anxious dog. I have a dog who hates storms. As the barometric pressure drops she becomes anxious. This can happen hours before a storm rolls in. It is difficult to witness although we can usually keep her fairly calm unless the storm is severe than I will medicate her with Sileo.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just another thing to try...although I am not saying it's the magic cure, but a Thundershirt sometimes helps dogs who are fearful of storms. It seems to help the dog I have who is afraid of thunder, although it doesn't remove the fear.

This doesn't sound to me like separation anxiety, but storm anxiety. I think the dog is OK when the OP is with him in the wind because he trusts the owner to take care of him. That is how mine is. If a storm starts he immediately comes to me for protection and clearly is less afraid (although not completely comfortable) when I am touching him or talking to him.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wonder if, since the move, the OP has ever left the dog alone when there was "no wind storm" and noticed no damage or anxiety?

My guess, is no! The move and any resultant routine changes brought on by the move or new environment are the cause... Personally, I'd guess that the windiness bothers the OP more than the dog LOL, and I'm not picking on anyone here! It just fits in my view from what was said...

Did the dog ever exhibit any wind anxiety where you used to live?

·
Registered
918 Posts
He can deal with the wind when we are home but on his own, it's a whole different story. I figured in a year, he would get use to it but this has not been the case. I sit with him outside on the deck when it's windy and he's fine. The minute I'm gone, he starts to panic.
How is he in the house when you are home? Is he glued to your side? Can you leave him in a room or house level alone without him panicking? Have you considered recording when you are away?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts