Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here. Looking for any advice on treating heartworm. My dog was infected last spring(just found out at his annual checkup) when I missed a treatment. Started on doxy to prepare for injections but now my car is broken down and I am down to $170 to my name. I live in the bush way up in northern ontario. He got infected down south. I have read about people treating with preventative if the case is mild. Do you think having it for a year is early enough to try this method? Hes shown no signs and is incredibly active(just got back to cabin from 3 weeks canoeing). Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That would be way too risky for me without the vets say so! Could you call your vet and explain your situation to him/her? Maybe you can get the go ahead from your vet, or maybe he or she will offer you a payment plan.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm in two minds about this. When one of my dogs was diagnosed with heartworm I was told the test was 100% definitive, no doubt. I spoke to 2 friends whose dogs had also had heartworm, and they said the treatment was terribly painful and the dogs both died anyway. Given that Rakia was about 17, we decided not to inflict the treatment on him and let him take his chances. He lived for another 5 years with nothing more than a mild cough, and we finally had him put down because his back legs went and he had no quality of life.

Had he been young we probably would have had the treatment and maybe lost him, but if it happened to one of my dogs now, I just don't know. I'm just not convinced by the test, either it was wrong or heartworm is not as serious as they say it is.

Lynsey

·
Registered
522 Posts
The preventive will only kill larvae, and adult worms usually live 2 to 3 years, during which they will cause damage to your dog's heart and lungs.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I see no way to treat him without a Vet managing the treatment. Early stage heartworm is a little easier to treat, but starting the correct treatment soon will be mandatory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts