Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a creeping suspicion that my dog may be pregnant, but very well could just be getting fat.

Vet will be out for some other things, so will do blood work then. But in the meantime, does anyone know the early signs of pregnancy, common and the uncommon ones, my dog isn't typical.

She's been humping a male dog more than normal, normal would be just when she's hyper. I've read that it basically means nothing with a pregnant dog, some will hump, others won't.

Last few days, she's been a little turd about sharing the food with the other dog. She's done growing a year ago, been feeding extra because the other dog is still growing, thus, my feeling that she's just fat on all the extra yummies. Other dog is passive, so that doesn't help any.

She feels like a dog getting fat, it's been 2 months of roundness. Not fat as all heck, but not a regular lean, active dog. More like a couch potato with some firm fluff for winter. Another thing that makes me think she's just eating too much.

I really can't tell if her teats are any different. Her chest/skin over her sternum don't feel any different, still thin and normal.

I think I'm just over thinking it.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Can't tell anything from a laying down belly shot. She looks exactly like my spayed female dog by way of her belly. When was she last in heat, and did she come in contact with unneutered males?

Edit: Your dog is definitely not two months pregnant, at the least! :D They're ready to whelp at just over two months, and she'd ...well, check out the thread in General with the pregnant foster, she'd be a blimp with swollen teats by now.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When was she in season? They have their pups around 63 days from being bred and from that picture if it has been two months it is very unlikely that she has been bred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's still hogging food and chasing off the other dog, even when fed separately.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You never answered the question. When was she in season and was she around any male dogs? If she is hogging the food she is probably just getting fat. How can she steal the food if she is being fed separately?

·
Registered
876 Posts
She is not two months pregnant. No swollen nipples or teats, no prepping to give birth. Your dog's just greedy, like many, many dogs. Lock her in another room when it's time to feed the other dog and when the other dog is done pick the food up if there's any left. 'Fed seperately' means they can't get at each other at any time, not just two dog dishes. Get her spayed, and the issue of whether or not she might be pregnant goes away forever.

Edit: think of two months for a dog being the equivalent of NINE months for a human. There is absolutely no mistaking by then if they're pregnant because they're hugely bloated with pups, you can see the pups moving and their teats are huge and full of milk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never said she was 2mo. Stop freaking out about that. Just that she seemed to have gotten fad in the last 2mo or maybe less.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you're really, REALLY curious bring her to a vet, they can tell you real fast. Nothing about your dog's behavior or her photos tells me she is pregnant or acting unusual for a normal dog. I suggest doing some reading in the future on the signs of a dog coming into heat, what to expect and what to watch for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vet is already scheduled to come out for something else, so he'll check her over then.
Fed them with a fence between, but she was still shooing the other dog away from his bowl. So now I stand and watch over to make sure the other eats and doesn't get shy and leave.
Today, she only ate half her food.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Taking mine to the vet. Can anyone tell from these pics?

Going by her teats, she's either pregnant or she's having a false pregnancy and is lactating because of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts