Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 month old Pug puppy (as some of you already know). Great dog. But, has a tendency to wake me too early. the times vary. The earliest he's woke me was maybe just after 3 am. Mostly it's between 4-5 am. (other times between 5-6 am. Which I short of prefer now (even though before I got him, 3rd dog) i thought I would never be up so early.

He does most of his sleeping in the morning and into the earl part of the afternoon. When he's awake he's going at 150 MPH all the time.

Do I have to not let him sleep so much during the day? I heard Pugs typically sleep 12-14 hours a day. Which isn't a problem for me if only my Pug would do most of his sleeping after 12:30 am.

Ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 3 month old Pug puppy (as some of you already know). Great dog. But, has a tendency to wake me too early. the times vary. The earliest he's woke me was maybe just after 3 am. Mostly it's between 4-5 am. (other times between 5-6 am. Which I short of prefer now (even though before I got him, 3rd dog) i thought I would never be up so early.

He does most of his sleeping in the morning and into the earl part of the afternoon. When he's awake he's going at 150 MPH all the time.

Do I have to not let him sleep so much during the day? I heard Pugs typically sleep 12-14 hours a day. Which isn't a problem for me if only my Pug would do most of his sleeping after 12:30 am.

Ideas?
If he's a puppy he should be sleeping more than 12-14 hours a day. Young puppies should sleep between 18-20 hours a day not to become stressed - remember he is only a baby and growing rapidly at the moment.

When he wakes in the middle of the night, just take him out to go potty and put him back in his sleeping area. If he protest just ignore him.

Generally you should decide when he sleeps. Which means that if you put him in his sleeping area, he should rest. He doesn't know his limits yet so he will protest at first, just don't give in. Soon he'll give up and choose to sleep instead of throwing a tantrum.

Are you crate training?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts