Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! New to the forum. Never had an issue with my 5 year old Chihuahua mix rescue. But, I brought a roudy male kitten into the house last week that someone dumped in the street. When the dog and kitten aren't cuddling or sleeping together, they like to "play fight" all the time and I've seen the cat go for the dog's ear. I put vet antibiotics I had on what I thought was a tear from the cat but then the hair disappeared and this is what it looks like now. She doesn't seem bothered by it. She's not scratching at it and I can touch it, clean it. Do dogs have nerves on the ends of their ears? Any ideas what it is or is she bound for the vet?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If it's ear mites the dark discharge will pretty easily wipe off but once the ear is clean the dark discharge will be back within a day or two. It also will have a pretty distinctive smell. Ear mites live in the ear canal and not on the tip of the flap like what's shown in your picture.

I'd say the cat managed to scratch your dogs ear a bit and the dog is probably rubbing at it when you aren't looking. Keep it clean and if it starts to look worse then take him to the vet to get it checked. If the kitty will let you clip the tips off his claws, that will keep him from being so easily able to scratch the dog. That's what I did with the 2 kittens I rescued, it cut down on the scratches they were giving me when they played and saved at least some of my skin LOL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Rain.

It's looking a whole lot better today. Looks paler and drier. I'll do what you say. Hopefully she'll not have to make a trip to the vet.

Good idea about clipping the kitten's claws. I'm not used to cats and don't know what to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts