Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I already have a vet appointment scheduled, but I was wondering if I could get some ideas as to what this could be for expense and time healing reasons. Tucker has those too-big yet adorable shepherd ears that I'm sure collect more dirt than I realize, but somehow they always seem pretty clean. Lately he's been shaking his head like he's trying to dry it off after a bath and slow scratching near his one ear. I don't see any dirt or wax inside, but his ears always seem itchy on the inside whenever I clean them (mine always are as well, so I wasn't sure if some dogs have forever itchy ears like some people do?). There's not really any other symptoms other than this new whine/bark thing he does when it's bothering him. Not looking for cures or remedies, just thoughts as to what it might be so I can prepare financially (it's textbook buying season...).

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
It could be an ear infection; my Sheltie had similar symptoms when he had his ear infection (that unfortunately took forever to clear).

Or, it's possible that something got into his ear and is down where you can't see it. A vet should be able to tell you either way :)

I don't think it should be too terribly expensive to deal with.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! I was going to take him today, but then my car broke down then a couple hours later my SO's car broke down (luckily his was much easier and quicker to fix) so I'll have to reschedule. Today has been a true Murphy's Law Monday.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So apparently it's allergies :/ I swear just when I think they're over he gets a reaction somewhere else. Anyways, the vet gave me Apoquil to give him. Has anyone used this before? He said it was new and I'm always wary of new things like that (I've been giving it to him and so far so good, but it hasn't been very long)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hmm. It might help to try to figure out what it is he's allergic to so that skin issues don't keep popping up, especially if this is happened before. Obviously, if it's something like pollen or whatever, then you'll want to stick with medication. But if it's something with his food, it might be good to see if you can find what's causing it, especially since food allergies are becoming very common in dogs.

I'm glad you got an answer, anyway, and I hope you can get him feeling all better soon!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I've heard good things about Apoquil, but I agree that you want to figure out the allergy if you can.

If it's environmental, brushing daily, washing biweekly and cleaning the ears out weekly would help him a lot.

If it's food, switching to a grain free and chicken free food would probably clear it right up. (Treats, too!)

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys! We've done the food test and found that it had little to no effect allergy wise (it did fix his sensitive stomach issues though). I'm really hoping its a seasonal allergy issue since all these issues started this last spring. It's like they come up suddenly though. He's not itching all over or scratching until he suddenly has allergy skin infection or very red itchy ears. And we moved from farmland and beaches to a subdivision and rivers, which he got the itchy ears right afterwards. It's hard trying to figure out what's bothering him because before I realize he's uncomfortable or itchy he suddenly has a medication necessary issue.

I'll definitely try bathing him biweekly and brushing daily though to see if that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts