Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i notice my dog keeps flicking her right ear and lip, scratches at her right ear, rubs it on stuff, etc.. some redness around the ear.. so im guessing ear infection?.. she's been coughing up a bit lately too.. i do have a small bottle of cephalexin 250mg, i wonder if i should flush her ear out with anything as well?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I second the Vet visit. There can be ear infections that are bacteria caused, fungal caused, and other reasons her ear could be inflamed. Using the wrong medication, could make things worse, in addition to not curing the problem. If she is coughing a lot, she has other problems that your Vet needs to address. There is a pretty nasty dog flu going around.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats this about a dog flu going around? im not sure she's been around any other dogs to get anything but she does seem to have a cough and some mucus she's coughing up

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Dog flu would be a bigger risk if your dog has been around lots of other dogs in close quarters like a kennel type situation, or maybe a dog park full of lots of dogs. But, you need to go to the vet to get both the ears and the coughing checked out. The cough is more concerning to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only vet i have in this area decided making as much money off me as possible was more important than saving my other dog which ultimately died after being put through surgeries knowing she likely wouldnt survive other conditions.. i will never take another dog to him

but no, she hasnt been around any other dogs so its not any kind of flu, im sure

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
since im fairly certain its an ear infection which is very common for her breed, should i try some diluted vinegar and see how that works?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
curious, do dogs sinuss get screwed up from forced air heating like a lot of people?.. i moved into this apartment during the spring, and now that its getting hold the heat has been hell on me as well, even to the point of frequent bloody noses

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
since im fairly certain its an ear infection which is very common for her breed, should i try some diluted vinegar and see how that works?
You can try. Dilute it 50/50. You can also use witch hazel, or wintergreen alcohol. Wintergreen is hard to find, but if you can it won't sting and burn the way regular rubbing alcohol will.

Itching ears can also be allergies as well.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Dogs have allergies just like us. Regardless, IMO you need to find and take her to a Vet for a diagnosis for the inflamed ear and the cough. If you don'tike your Vet find another for your dogs sake. Our dog developed a cough some weeks ago, when after several days it did not get better, we took her to the Vet. He said he had seen a considerable number of dogs that had the flu, which ours likely had too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can try. Dilute it 50/50. You can also use witch hazel, or wintergreen alcohol. Wintergreen is hard to find, but if you can it won't sting and burn the way regular rubbing alcohol will.

Itching ears can also be allergies as well.
i diluted it about 40% white vinegar and used it last night, i noticed the foul odor is gone, the color is returning to pink/tan rather than read, and shes scratching/rubbing her ears noticeably less... i tried it out in my own ear to make sure it wasnt too hot or cold

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
an update, i did the dilluted vinegar treatment a couple days after the first, not only is the itching and ear rubbing gone, but so is the ear twitching as well, there will be no need for a vet

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, it was red and had an odor so i can only assume it was infected, but i read acetic acid is pretty good at killing off bacteria, fungus, and ear mites so it was worth a shot.. she is a basset hound though so ear infections are not uncommon

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Hate nosebleeds...

If U have bloody noses from the dry heat, get a humidifier & run it - the best use a UV-light to sterilize the incoming H2O, so U need not use distilled water, but can use tap-water.

It's also best to get one that uses ultrasonic waves to create the mist / break-up the water column to disperse it. // the old-fashioned cheapies use an expanded-sheet-paper filter to wick the water upward, & a noisy fan to push moisture out... the "filter" isn't filtering anything, it is simply a wick to suck water up from the well at the bottom, fed by a spring-loaded valve on the bottom of the tank.
The "filter" is a great surface to deposit minerals & grow bacteria - I would not advise buying this type, get a good digital hygrometer / UV-light / ultrasonic one, it will last for years.
Also, Amazon & other retailers sell warranty coverage - mine can be replaced if it dies within the 1st 3 years, cost me an extra $6.

45% humidity is a good minimum, 50% is preferable, & 55% is fine -
a 2 to 4-gallon tank will humidify a fair-sized apt, but for a house, U need one unit per floor, as dryness will vary from floor to floor.

f'r'instance:
my client's kitchen runs around 35% to 40% humidity during the day, when the sun does some passive heating, but at night it falls to 30% & under.
The basement, where the FURNACE is located, actually has the driest air; the bedrooms on the ground floor run 40 to 45%, which isn't terrible, but isn't great, either.

Hope the dog has seen a vet, & is doing better. :) Did U get a diagnosis? // of the cough?
- terry

·
Registered
368 Posts
Several comments:
1) hard to make a diagnosis of ear infection based on a red itchy ear, though infection is one of several possibilities as some someone already pointed out. Inflammation is certain, but it could be allergic, injured, and/or have as a secondary problem, a bacterial and/or yeast infection (the latter being by far the more common infection)

2) Cephalexin will rarely take care of an ear infection, even if it is bacterial. Without addressing the inflammation, few ear infections will resolve with oral antibiotics.

3) what breed do you have? Very few infections are 'common' in a breed other than in Cocker Spaniels perhaps. Most are common to allergic dogs (which can be nearly any breed).

4) even if you wanted to give your dog some antibiotics, which would almost never be indicated, it does little good to tell us what strength of antibiotic you have without knowing the weight of your pet.

5) vinegar (acetic acid) is in many cleansers and it can kill yeast and some bacteria... and though that might help if there is a yeasty overgrowth, the original problem is never yeast (yeast are always a complicating factor). You may not resolve the situation without dealing with the inflammation, too.

6) some ear allergies or even infections sometimes will pass on their own despite what we might do.

7) I agree that if this does not resolve itself, I think a veterinary visit is needed to look down the canals and see what is down there, so proper treatment can be carried out.

Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts