Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've been stalking a while, but I've been having an issue and have nowhere else to turn.

My pitbull has had an ear infection for months. Her vets had prescribed her a topical steroid and antibiotics but nothing has worked. She has food allergies but we've adjusted her diet and this infection is still not yielding. Has anyone else had issues with a stubborn ear infection? How did you go about fixing it? I found a recipe that has worked for stubborn cocker ear infections. Im half tempted to try it. (Boris acid, betadine, white vinegar, rubbing alcohol). Some people swear by it. Has anyone tried this method? If so, how were the results? Im at my wits end and my poor baby is in pain. (It is not ear mites, and her ear drum is intact. No sores/wounds internal or external). I have no idea what to do now!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Have the ears been cleaned properly? What exactly has been prescribed for the ear infections? Most of them are junk so to speak. The pin used to get raging ear infections, it was pitiful, scratching and screeching at the same time. We tried all the different drops and cleaners - "Mometamax" brand drops are the best, just follow the instructions carefully.

Imagine you're suffering a major ear infection, ear is raw and sore - would you want alcohol and vinegar in your ears?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I recommend that you Google 'yeast infection in dogs' as it sounds like your dog has a yeast infection in its ears.......especially since he has allergies. Yeast is a fungi and is not killed with steroids and antibiotics In fact the over use of them can contribute to yeasty ear infections. If this is an infection involving his skin also. I would definitely look into feeding a yeast free diet (no carbs no starches) as yeast can be systemic.... DO Google this
Also, there is a product that is called 'Zymox Otic' that many of my friends swear by!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked into yeast infections already and her ears are clean other than a tiny bit of dirt. The culprit ear does not even have a smell. She has no issues with yeast between her paws/pads or her lady parts either. She doesn't scratch the ear. Only shakes her head, and her ear is not raw. I will still look into the medicine, maybe it will help regardless. But this one ear is just baffling me. Since switching dog foods her one ear has been cleaned of infection (when we found her she had a double ear infection. But the steroids and antibiotic along with food switch have cleared her one ear) but this other one refuses to heal.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I second the Zymox, and it does sound like yeast. Carbs feed yeast, and unfortunantly all kibble has carbs. You want to look for at least low carb, or go no carb which would be stop feeding kibble and go to raw.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Your Vet needs to culture the infection in is ear, so the correct medication is prescribed. Samantha has had on again, off again ear infections over the years, our Vet does not just prescribe without a complete exam, and a culture. We have always been successful getting them cleared up in five to ten days with treatment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts