Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 week old Pyrenees puppy has an ear infection. We've been to the vet and he prescribed some ointment for the ears. The bottle has a long skinny tube. It's worse in her right ear, but I have to put ointment in both ears. The first few days were really easy, but now that she has learned what it is, she has decided that she doesn't like it at all.

Sneaking up on her won't let me get the meds in anymore. If i touch her ears at all, even with no medicine bottle in my hand, even with treats, she is very untrusting of me now.

Even my husband can't hold her still long enough for me to deposit the medicine in the ear. Weighing in at 50 lbs already, those neck muscles are just too strong! I've been putting a small amount on my finger instead of using the bottle and sneaking it in during pets, but I'm not sure this is getting the job done. I've called the vet, and we have a re-check on Monday, to see what her ear is looking like and to discuss our options.

However, I was directed to continue the ear meds 2 times daily until that recheck -- and I can't seem to get any in her ears!! Meanwhile, our baby is acting traumatized, not letting her personality shine through and just sort of isolating herself and acting weird in general.

HELP PLEASE. :(

·
Registered
713 Posts
You just have to try and do the best that you can until the recheck. Putting it on your finger sounds like a viable idea if direct application doesn't work. Giving a high value treat after medicating may help your pup to associate the meds with something and learn to tolerate them. If the ear isn't better at the recheck, ask your vet about long term ear treatments. There's quite a few ear meds out on the market that last 1-2 weeks after the initial application, which means you don't have to constantly fight your pup trying to apply meds.

·
Registered
368 Posts
OR... you can have your vet (if they have these in their practice) apply an otipak (its a formation that the vet puts in the ear and lasts a good week keeping the owner from having to do it themselves)... some newer products now on the market that even the dermatologists use frequently (one called Osurnia, though I cannot recall the name of newer one). But most larger veterinary compounding pharmacies around the country make these, too, in a lanolin base and they often work very well.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Izrddr- Is it Claro that you're thinking of? We use it all the time at our clinic and love it. Our clients didn't like the otipack because it causes a temporary hearing I impairment while the ointment plugs the canal. We weren't sold on the osurnia and didn't like that it had to be stored in the fridge. Claro is awesome, effective and easy to use. Our clients are starting to request it for their pets because they've seen the results with their other pets or friends pets. The best part about it is that we've gotten 100% owner compliance because owners literally don't have to do anything.

IME if your vet suggest any of the long term ear meds for treating your dogs current ear infection go for it, even if it costs a bit more; you, your vet, and most importantly your pet will be much happier for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts