Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is a Dorset olde tyme bulldog x Presa and has problems with her ears which clears up with ear drops. The problem I'm having is actually getting the ear drops in as she is very unwilling to let me do it (to the point I have to show her I have nothing in my hands for her to let me near her for about an hour after trying). She has a lot of loose skin around her neck and her strength means it is difficult to hold her still and she has managed to slip her a few times, when trying to hold her still. I'm just looking for some advice about how I can go about using the ear drops.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Do you know what is causing her ear issues? Could be food allergy.

Have you tried straddling her like riding a horse? Do it a lot without putting the drops in to get her use to it...Play with her by straddling her...rub her ears...lift her ear..lean over hugging her head..

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
You need to make it rewarding... touch ear, give treat. Touch med to ear, give treat. Repeat. When she's okay with this, you can try putting meds in, give treat.

Do you know what KIND of infection she's getting? Yeast or bacteria? Could absolutely be secondary to a food allergy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the treat idea to get her to let me get near her with the dropper.

I'm not completely sure what wrong with her ears, but we're going to get her checked out at the vets when we can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts