Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had an issue with dirty ears with Shadow until recently, and I just want to make sure I've got it down right. How far in should you clean? I know you shouldn't go any further than you can see, but what about what you CAN see way down in there?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
When I clean Cosmo's ears I don't use a Q tip for fear of damaging his ears. I use cotton balls instead. Usually I'll take a drop or two of olive oil and drop it on the floppy part of the skin not directly in his ear and just let it drip down a bit to loosen up the wax. Then I'll take a cotton ball and wipe the wax out and that usually does the trick.

I never do deep cleaning but my vet has done that, I only clean to where I can reach with a big cotton ball. I wouldn't trust myself and wouldn't want to damage his ear drums.

I'd love to hear other methods though! I've only used tips from my vet and this is what she told me to do.

Make sure to check for coffee ground-like wax because it might be mites. Also redness or warm ears / foul smell are all signs of infection which can cause small ulcers, bleeding, and hearing damage so it's important to keep an eye on that,especially if your dog has floppy ears! I'm always paranoid about drying Cosmos ears to avoid infection

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
When Sawyer had his small ear infection in one ear I picked up a bottle of liquid ear cleaner (Conquer Hy-Otic). And it cleared up pretty quick. For just basic day to day, I have Excel Ear Cleansing Pads. But ever since the ear infection he hasn't really had a problem with dirty ears so I don't use the pads very often but there nice to have.

As Cos said, stick with cotton balls. There are also a ton of videos on youtube of vets doing and explaning ear cleanings that might be helpful.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When I have clients clean their dog's ears, I have them put in the ear cleaning solution (any will usually do) and fill up the ear canal… massage it all well from below the ear on the side of the face (you can hear the solution sloshing around in there)… and then have the pet shake all the stuff out itself, rather than irritate and potentially damage the ear with anything you might want to poke down in there. Repeat daily 2-3 days and that should basically clean most dog ears (some with super narrow canals, or something 'bad' stuck in there may need more aggressive cleaning, but I do not feel comfortable having an owner do that).

Just know that cleaning an ear is not the same as 'treating an infection'… you are only going to clean the ear… which, if you are lucky, may end up taking care of an infection at the same time… but more often than not, it won't. Infections can be tenacious, particularly bacterial ones… and ears tend to get very itchy and inflamed not only with the infections, but with the cleaning process itself as well, often making the pet itchier or even more uncomfortable. This is where ear medications can help (where ear cleaners often will not). Almost all ear medications contain steroids, which are excellent at calming an ear down and getting rid of the itch… then sometimes the infection will 'magically' disappear as well… but in case not, most ear medications also have products in them that get rid of yeast AND bacteria (though not all bacteria)… and THAT will take care of the problem about 95% of the time… the other 5% are ear infections with resistant bacteria, severe secondary changes already (like canals so chronically infected that they are swollen shut), physical objects in them (such as foxtails or ticks), badly damaged ear drums, or abnormally narrow ear canals without the chronic damage, etc.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I clean my dogs ears with a liquid cleaning solution as described above. It's a good idea to warm the bottle in your hands before applying. I also recommend conditioning the dog to the bottle and the application of the liquid. Most dogs dislike the sensation of fluid in their ears. Making the appearance of the bottle, and the application of the liquid, a good thing, using classical conditioning, can go a long way toward making this a positive experience.

I use a damp cloth to gently wipe the inner folds of the ear and I do this after a bath so the dirt adhering to the is loose and easy to wipe out.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My vet recommends a using tweezers to hold a cotton ball soaked in medical saline (cheap and available at any drugstore).and to just swipe everything you can get at with out having to push in.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very belatedly come to find out it's a yeast ear infection!! thanks to the antibiotics she'd been on for something incredibly minor, and now the ear infection is NOT minor and now she's on medication for THAT too and argh. Daily cleanings via cotton ball is a thing. I can't quite reach everything I can /see/ in her ear with a cotton ball but she's already unhappy enough.

·
Registered
368 Posts
nearly every ear medication there is available will treat a yeast infection (not aware of a single ear medication that ONLY treats bacterial infections) so you should have something that works against yeast… at least yeast is very unlikely to show any resistance to standard antifungals found in all/any ear medications. But yeast is almost always secondary to allergies, so be sure your product also has something to make the ear feel better (eg. steroid of some sort). Cleaning yeasty ears will irritate them, so always put in a calming medication after every cleaning, or the whole process will not improve rapidly and you may find it rather frustrating (and your dog will find it uncomfortable).

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of Sami's floppy ears gets very dirty. I use a liquid cleaner, massage her ear, let her shake her head, then wipe with a soft gauze wrapped around my finger. She gets a weekly cleaning.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I stick the bottle in my bra and clean or whatever for a while to warm it up. That really cuts down on Kabota's dislike of the whole thing.

Zymox treatment (it's a tiny bottle of thick, clear gel available at pet stores or online) is stupid expensive, but it works like magic. If I suspect Kabota is getting an infection, I use that for a few days and it clears everything right up.

Zymox cleaner is also stupid expensive (not as expensive as the treatment), but it prevents infections like nothing else. It also leaves a nasty, stickyish residue on the fur. I'll take the residue over the infections.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I stick the bottle in my bra and clean or whatever for a while to warm it up. That really cuts down on Kabota's dislike of the whole thing.

Zymox treatment (it's a tiny bottle of thick, clear gel available at pet stores or online) is stupid expensive, but it works like magic. If I suspect Kabota is getting an infection, I use that for a few days and it clears everything right up.

Zymox cleaner is also stupid expensive (not as expensive as the treatment), but it prevents infections like nothing else. It also leaves a nasty, stickyish residue on the fur. I'll take the residue over the infections.
HA! That's so funny I've never thought of sticking the bottle in my bra before but hey whatever works works. I certainly wouldn't want cold liquid in my ear though so that's awfully nice of you to do for Kabota!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts