Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I adopted this 2 yr old Female English from an Animal Shelter, and I am by no means a stranger to training a dog to pee and poop outside but she is a challenge. She does pee outside but I have to take her out every half hour if she is outside of her crate. I work at a vet and have applied many of the techniques I have been told by the Dr's, and have treated the UTI that she had when I had first adopted her a month ago but she still insists on peeing every half hour either inside or outside of the house.

Now, I have tried keeping her leashed and attached to my coffee table if I am sitting watching tv or folding laundry but she will just squat where she lays. This behavior I have no doubt in my mind developed because she was in shelter for 3 months and had to pee where she lived. However, she gives me NO signs or hints (tethered or untethered) when she has to go out. No whimpers, no pacing, no scratching on the door, nothing. I have also tried keeping her in her crate all day with taking her out every hour, but as soon as I let her stretch her legs inside untethered it is only a matter of time before she will squat on the floor. I have restricted her water, but I feel bad because it is so hot outside and don't want her to become dehydrated.

For example last night she got up off her chair from her nap, walked into her crate turned around went behind my dinning table and squated to pee. This happened in less then a minute. I said "NO, OUTSIDE"( I do this everytime she pee's inside) and hooked her up outside. What she did with the crate was random just like every other time she has had an accident. The only consistent hint I have picked up is when she wakes up from a nap, which is ironically probably every half hour.

I treated the areas that she pees on immediately with white distilled vinegar to prevent her from going on the same spot but she'll just pick another spot on the rug to go on.

I can't leave paper or training mats out because she would just tear it up and I feel horrible for keeping her crated when inside but otherwise she is just to unpredictable. She is old enough where she should be capability to hold her pee for at least 8 hours and does at night.

I reward her every time she goes potty outside with praise and a treat when she comes inside.

I'm at the end of my leash, so to speak, and becoming very disgruntled. I have never wanted to become that owner that just keeps their pet as an outside dog or even worse give it up because it seems like training is not sinking in, but I'm starting to have doubts about her adoption.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I would get her tested again for uti. It can take a month of anti biotics to totally get rid of it. Her symptoms are strong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts