Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am trying to find something that works better than an ecollar/E-collar (aka traditional plastic 'cone').

My dog had surgery (lumps removed and spay). I tried a onesie and altered it to fit on a dog but she took it out at night (while I was sleeping). It's really bad because that allowed her to lick the area of the surgery. So, knowing a onesie won't work, I am looking at the e-collar. I tried one that I had leftover (she hurt herself - a while ago - very minor and only used it for a day) but she doesn't like it. It's the traditional white plastic one and she won't want to move/budge. I was going to test it out on her walk but she didn't want to go with it on. I am not surprised considering all what I've read with owners using e-collars. The Elizabethan collar ('cone') just doesn't work. I hope vets stop using it soon - the vet that did the surgery mentioned it but even she acknowledged the majority of dogs don't like it and suggested to get a onesie at Walmart.

Which brings me to my question - what is the alternative? I discovered that a big chain pet store in my town (Petsmart) sells a few of these 'medical' collars.

One is called the 'Inflatable protective pet collar' and another is the 'all four paws comfy cone pet e-collar.' Each has a different design than the other (I think). The 2nd one is more traditional but not made of plastic. Both have mixed reviews - some really good and other owners who claim it didn't work for them. I guess that is to be expected.

I just wonder if anyone here has tried either and if you haven't, if you notice anything good or bad about them (it's good to receive different ideas/perspectives or insight about them, I think). I figure I'll probably have to choose one if I can't think of anything else or find anything else. They're around the same price, one's slightly under $20, the other is a bit over. That is, assuming, it's no larger than the 'small' size.

Edit: The 'Four Paws' collar is not sold in the store. I'd have to order it. It can be returned at the store for a refund but minus the shipping (apparently). The other one, inflatable collar is sold in the store so at least I can try it the same day as purchased. I like the design of the other one even though it is harder for the dog to see and move. But, the 'donut style' of the other one, I don't know if that will stop her. I wonder if some dogs can squeeze out of them or tear them off with their legs or something? I'm not sure which one I prefer but I guess either is better than the plastic cone that the dog doesn't like and is sure to try to take off given enough time.

Any thoughts/advice? I have to do something soon. She is constantly trying to lick herself unless she feels tired and sleeps. I also have to watch her that she doesn't go up and down/on and off the furniture - I allowed her previously so I can't change that now. I just try to pick her up off or on when I think she wants to jump on/off. I also need to find a solution before night/bed time.

Thanks for any suggestions/ replies.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Jagger's suggestion is awesome. Love the soft padded ones (neck sleep pillow?)
Because those plastic cones are miserable.
I just can't resist illustrating with a blast from my past. Dearly departed Dynamo and Archer. Split knee swimming accident, and broken toe.
All the best for you dog. Heal up quick and good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts