Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so some of you know that I'm in college. While this isn't my first year back to my college town, it is my first year being involved in the dog community up here. I've discovered a massive difference in the dog people between my hometown and this town.

Hometown: Coastal, retired living, so most people have small dogs or "family" type dogs. There are two rescues in my city alone, so quite a few in the whole county. Most people are fairly dog knowledgeable; they know more than just your basic don't feed a dog chocolate. Everyone is maybe a little too motherly towards their pets and quite a few people get their dogs professionally trained.

College Town: Where do I even begin. I'll start with the pros first. Well, one pro. People aren't scared of Tucker, which is nice. One lady even said she wished her dog barked like he did :confused: Oh well. Now the cons. Well, I guess this college town is the epitome of stereotypical Alabama. I never understood the negative connotations this state had until I came up here.
Anyways, this has mostly to do with my neighbor. Nice guy, has two beautiful shepherd/lab mixes. Here's the problem that, not just him, but most people up here tend to have with their dogs: 1) they're not neutered. I've never seen so many owned, unneutered dogs before. 2)they don't understand basic dog communication. they shoo their dogs away for sniffing another dog's butt and usually follow up with "Don't be gay." SOOOO many things wrong with that. 3) they kick and spank their dogs for behavioral issues. Barking at something? Don't check and see what it is then apply a command word to stop the barking, just run out and smack the dog then angrily say No then walk away. I took Tucker on a walk one day and witnessed three different households come out and spank their barking dogs. This was once followed up with "Yeah, I'm strict on my dogs. I don't tolerate bad behavior." I would TOTALLY agree with him had he spanked his child for acting out, but these are dogs. UNNEUTERED dogs that he's setting up for failure then harshly correcting the symptom, not the source. 4) This is a biggy. My one neighbor and his roommates cook out a lot, and thus they end up just dumping their food on the ground next to their house. This includes chicken bones. How did I know they ate chicken bones? Well, because Tucker ran over there while playing with the dogs one day and ate one. Luckily is was small and he only got one before I got over there and picked the rest up, but COME ON!! He has two dogs, so you'd think that he'd be super careful about stuff like that. Oh, and grease! They just dump grease out as well. Now my dog has had the runs for a day (calling the vet if not improved with rice and chicken, don't worry) and I'm going to be paying for that medical bill just because they're stupid. But then there's the reason why he doesn't care about his dogs eating chicken bones. 5) they believe dogs to be indestructible. This is "hunting" dog central, where they believe that their hound-looking mutt must be a **** dog just because he treed a squirrel. It's the macho, men are tough type culture that ends up spilling over to their dogs. My other neighbor has a smaller breed 9 week old puppy who plays some with the bigger dogs (they're all very gentle with him and we keep a close eye on their playing) and he went for a tumble one day so his owner ran over to check and make sure he was okay. "Dog1 and Dog2 went through worse tumbles than that when they where puppies. He'll be fine. It's what dogs do." Again, nice guy, but he has a little too much of the Let Dogs be Dogs because they used to be Wolves mentality. 6) I think this is my last one. No one uses a leash and very few people even use collars here. And it's NOT because the dogs are trained well. We have a small block and the houses are very close to each other and we share one big backyard, so it turns into a sort of dog park sometimes and all the dogs stay close to us and play very well together. This is fine. However, I've been asked so many times up here "Why do you use a leash? Does he not come back to you?" while their 5 month old puppy is acting like a star citizen sitting next to them. I do all I can to not sigh and go "Oh, yeah, I remember when my dog was too young to start disobeying me too. Have fun in about another month when your dog runs off, you can't catch him, and he hates the leash because you never practiced it with him as a puppy." but I don't. I just say that we're used to strict leash laws (true) and that I don't trust him being off leash with how fast people drive down the streets (also true). I've lived here for two weeks and I've already seen more than my fair share of dogs almost get ran over with no owner in sight. No name tags, sometimes not even a collar. People walk their dogs and think it's going great because their dog is following them....until I walk by with Tucker and suddenly their dog thinks it's my dog. Yet I'm the weird one for walking my dog on a leash. Whatever

Sorry for the long post. I feel like I've moved to a different country in regards to the dog culture.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I hear you, I live in a college town and many of my neighbors in my apartment complex are college kids and they all own dogs and they're soooo ignorant. They let their dogs run around off leash charging up to people and dogs and don't train them at all and don't understand behavior or body language.

The dog right next door has separation anxiety and the other day she busted a hole through the window and when the owner got back he started yelling at her even though she had been panicked and screaming for hours :(

My neighbors don't pick up after their dogs- we have one small common area to take them out and it's covered in garbage and dog crap because of my terrible lazy college neighbors.

Lots of intact dogs too, I've noticed that with the college kids even though the locals are well educated and responsible owners, the out of state college kids aren't.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot about the dog crap. No one picks up after their dog here either. I was even told I didn't have to pick it up. Even if I was a crappy human being who didn't care about other people's yards and the smell, I don't want my dog getting your dog's diseases. I'm also used to walking around barefoot if I'm just taking Tucker out to do his business real quick and there are no shoes around. It's like a mine field every time I do that and I'm quickly learning to just run upstairs and grab the shoes.
I was just stunned because even people at the local community, public, and two private colleges seemed to have at least some dog education. Up here at the bigger public college it seems like no one does.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, update: One of the dogs had ringworm for a while and I just found out and now Tucker may have it (vet appointment scheduled). I'm probably a little too paranoid with my dog since he's my first, but even if I don't think it's vet worthy I don't let him around other dogs until it's cleared or I know it's not contagious. Now I'm paying for the bill....
The problem is that everyone is so nice and I hate getting upset with them but they just don't know and won't listen if I try to mention anything. I just want to put my dog in a giant bubble while he's up here.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
That would drive me bananas. I can't stand ignorance like that on anything, and anytime I've been in areas like that I feel extraordinarily frustrated and angry. I can see not caring if a dog eats a rabbit or bird, but eating bones in "Fresh" animals is different than eating bones from cooked animals.

Hitting dogs for barking or bad behavior is stupid for multiple reasons. Guys like that usually want guard dogs...so why are you upset about the dog doing so? Barking isn't always bad behavior. I don't agree with hitting children either.

I really can't understand no collars though. I mean I know many people like that see dogs as disposable but even if you let your dog roam free wouldn't you want a collar and tag on him so he'll get returned if he gets picked up by a shelter or something?

Unnuetered dogs...ugh. I work in an animal shelter now so anyone with an uncut dog just makes me want to scream. I might start carrying photos of dogs who were put to sleep to show people with unneutered dogs.

And not picking up after dogs isn't even just a dog issue, that's a public health issue. That's gross. It's one thing if the dog just goes in a heavily wooded area...where wild animals go as well. That easily gets buried, but if it's on a street, sidewalk or area where lots of people go? Yuck! So many diseases are carried in feces. I don't know how you manage being there!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
That would drive me bananas. I can't stand ignorance like that on anything, and anytime I've been in areas like that I feel extraordinarily frustrated and angry. I can see not caring if a dog eats a rabbit or bird, but eating bones in "Fresh" animals is different than eating bones from cooked animals.

Hitting dogs for barking or bad behavior is stupid for multiple reasons. Guys like that usually want guard dogs...so why are you upset about the dog doing so? Barking isn't always bad behavior. I don't agree with hitting children either.

I really can't understand no collars though. I mean I know many people like that see dogs as disposable but even if you let your dog roam free wouldn't you want a collar and tag on him so he'll get returned if he gets picked up by a shelter or something?

Unnuetered dogs...ugh. I work in an animal shelter now so anyone with an uncut dog just makes me want to scream. I might start carrying photos of dogs who were put to sleep to show people with unneutered dogs.

And not picking up after dogs isn't even just a dog issue, that's a public health issue. That's gross. It's one thing if the dog just goes in a heavily wooded area...where wild animals go as well. That easily gets buried, but if it's on a street, sidewalk or area where lots of people go? Yuck! So many diseases are carried in feces. I don't know how you manage being there!

I'd been seeing a lot of piles of dog mess around my apartment complex lately, and I think the apartment manager must have issued a warning to the usual suspects since it's suddenly been picked up. Honesty though it was getting bad enough that I was tempted to follow behind the large dogs being walked, pick up the mess if it was left and return it with a nice note that said "Your dog dropped this, I figured you didn't notice and might want it back so here it is." Sincerely, A neighbor tired of playing dodge the crap

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
That sounds awful, it would drive me nuts. You would at least think people would keep collars on their dogs. And not picking up poop is gross and unhealthy.
Rain- That reminded of a article I read awhile ago. Theres a town in Spain were they mail a dogs poop to its owner if they don't pick it up. Spanish Town Mails Dog Poop Back to Offenders | TIME.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.