Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Duke is not fixed because we had always planned on showing him. Well within the last month he started to pee in the house. Just about 20 sec ago he lifted his leg and peed right in front of me like its nothing!

What can I do? My grandpa shows dogs and all his male schips pee in the house. I dont want an indoor kennel!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is it only since the addition of Harley? If so, he's just being territorial. Still unacceptable, but he's making sure Harley knows it's HIS house. ha ha! I really don't know how to go about stopping it. That's why any males we've gotten as puppies were neutered ASAP as I don't tolerate that. Maybe keep a leash on him in the house and give him a firm correction when he's in the act and take him outside. I don't know, hopefully someone else has better advice!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Load of crapinsky guys. You see them mark, growl straight away and make him go outside. When he does something, praise him. Then he can come back in. You have to keep telling him no (sturn voice) when he does something, no smacking as you will confuse him. He will learn its not on in the house. Its bullshit that a dog needs to be desexed, sorry this shits me to tears. I have 6 stud dogs in my home and none of them mark. Its a matter of keeping at them, cant be lazy, just keep putting them outside. If you are busy doing housework, crate them. Its easy really.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Load of crapinsky guys. You see them mark, growl straight away and make him go outside. When he does something, praise him. Then he can come back in. You have to keep telling him no (sturn voice) when he does something, no smacking as you will confuse him. He will learn its not on in the house. Its bullshit that a dog needs to be desexed, sorry this shits me to tears. I have 6 stud dogs in my home and none of them mark. Its a matter of keeping at them, cant be lazy, just keep putting them outside. If you are busy doing housework, crate them. Its easy really.
If there where reps here you would be getting some...
Marking is a way dogs have of showing the pecking order, who is Alpha and who follows. The dominance is some thing they decide in play and every day activities, although you may see playing dogs as playing, just like kids, they are deciding who is boss around here...

Marking is a reminder of who is boss. Unfortunately your Alpha male might be forgetting he is a member of a human pack as well, and in that family, you are the Alpha. It is important to show him this is not acceptable in your home.

The difference between marking and nervous drop or regular peeing is not easel seen by us humans unless you are very attentive. Dogs that make, rarely need to make more then an ounce are the time, so they can go around a long long time and mark. It is generally done in a perimeter and shows where their domain is.

Very important you show your Alpha male that His domain is actually yours, and because you can not go around marking your home, you have to become More creative about it. Don't be mean to the dog, they will respond with understanding that being mean is OK. As Sivaro said, be stern and fair. Given the chance, dogs just like humans will take the chance to repair what they did wrong.

If you have a yard, bring them outside, Let the Alpha male mark the perimeter of the yard or area where he is allowed to be, this will satisfy him. Within the house, use a spray bottle to cover his markings as soon as you see it and correct him.
Example, you see the dog mark the wall, Shout NO! use a bottle of Cinnamon water* and cover the area, Your god will go to smell the new scent. Do not clean it up right then, take the dog out to the closed in pen so he can not see what you are doing, then go inside and clean up. Once you have the area cleaned up, Use the Cinnamon water again to mark the area, spritz a few times and let him back Him. The dog will naturally go to smell that area to see who has it marked. When he does, look at him like you mean to say "Now I am the boss!" When your dog tries to roughhouse with you by play, make sure you take dominance over him vocally and physically.

This is not always some thing a younger person can do, so it may be best left to a parent or older brother. Mind you, I have seen large German Shepard's who completely submitted to a young child. Emotions play a large role in this.

The actual smell matters little, it is an identifier. Each dog has his own smell, what is important is to cover the smell with "Yours" and to have him recognize it as such.

To make cinnamon water, take a few cinnamon sticks, (2 or 3) boil them in water, then take the sticks and water and put them in a spritz bottle. The smell is very agreeable to most humans and very marking to animals, it is almost like a pepper.
PS: Cinnamon water is also a very good ant and spider repellent, most small bugs will feel like they are walking on fire when they walk over Cinnamon so they stay away from it.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
if i may add...

This is your chi right? Chis have tiny tiny bladders, especially puppies...

it could just be hes not going outside enough....try taking him out every half hour for now. Get a kitchen timer so you wont forget....i bet you he'll stop "marking"

good luck.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
everyone about covered it, but also wanted to add make sure you are cleaning the marked spots with something MEANT for pee. If you are not, the "smell" is still there and he'll keep coming back to that spot.

You can get an black light and shine it places. The parts that still have pee on it will glow a color (not sure what color).
I recomment Urine Off...the best product out there to get rid of pee smells and stains

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dog marking in house

I have 2 points to make. One is that the urine-off, while one of the better urine removers, does not contain all of the enzymes required to digest the 5 components of urine. It does digest the protein in urine, and may take out part of the stain but not all. The 5 components are: protein, uric acid, sticky mucous, pheromones, and marking scent. Neither will Natures Miracle, Simple Solution, or many of the well known solutions. I know this because I have done extensive research, which was a result of having a dog that marked all over my house.
The only product that I ever found that actually worked so that even dog could not smell it, was Poop-Off Superior Stain & Odor, made by Life's Great Products. It is a blend of "targeted" enzymes/bacteria that digest all 5 components of urine. It is sold in Petco and other pet stores. Slightly more expensive but you only need to buy it once. Online, it's bottled under the name Pee-Off and is sold online at Pee-Off.com They also sell the least expensive hand-held black lite, that is designed specifically with a spectrum to detect urine. Other black lites are fairly expensive, and intended for illuminating posters, and will only show urine if held very closely.
The second point is that as a result of my dog marking I looked to a dog behaviorist to find out what to do to help him to stop. He is a very dominant West Highland Terrier. Several previous "experts" told me to crate him. I refused this advice other than if I had to go out of the house for a while, I don't want to crate a dog for his life, or I wouldn't even have a dog. However I finally found somone who actually knew what they were talking about. He confirmed what another person said here...it is a dominance issue and I was not taking the Alpha role. I read books on what to do (Leader of the Pack is a good basic book) but at first it didn't work for me because I was not being assertive enough. For example, in setting boundaries on my bed and my couch I could get him to jump off, but he didn't stay off. I simply was asking him instead of telling him in no uncertain terms. Also, I was not following up every single time. When I finally got the message on HOW to do this, it has worked like a charm. What I thought was an unteachable dog was just my own bad technique. It also improved many other habits he had. He now is developing respect for me and will listen much better to commands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
oh dear....you have the same problem as i do . only my pup is only 3 months and sometimes she pees next to me in the house aswell, its so infuriating, i get so mad, how old is your dog? is this also a new thing , or has he always had potty problems.? im trying at the moment to leave her outside so that she has to do it there and when she does that is the only time she can come indoors till she gets the message...maybe you should try that aswell, ive heard that if you clean your floors with products that contains amonia that attracts them to pee more, so check whats in your cleaning products aswell, after cleaning the area...white vinegar takes out their smell so hopefully they wont go back to the same place again...good luck ...keep me posted on how he gets on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the same problem with my newly adopted neutered male dog. When he first got to our apt he started to mark, we firmly said no and made metal can shaker with some coins. He stopped marking for a day.

I have been taking him on walks regularly. He is having trouble using the doggie door, so I walk him out there once every hr or so.

I notice he marks when we are not at home though, so we are just confining him when we arent at home. I dont know when he will be ready to be in the apt when arent home.

We have another dog and we are doing our best to exert her as higher in the pecking order than he, but i think he is having trouble accepting that.

I think i will try the cinnamon water. Does it work if the dog marked while you were out though?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts