Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German Shorthaired Pointer had a little dry patch a little smaller than a dime that I noticed about 2 weeks ago. I just found another little tiny one today as well as dry skin by her front elbows. We live in Arizona so it is really dry out here, I'm just wondering if this is something that may be caused by her diet or the heat. Does anybody have a good remedy for dry skin?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Coconut oil, or Omega 3 oil, added to her food, or even rubbed on the dry spots, should help if its a heat/dry air problem. The spots on her elbows could be callus, Apollo has them there, from sleep on hard surfaces.

Is she itchy or showing any other signs of problems?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coconut oil, or Omega 3 oil, added to her food, or even rubbed on the dry spots, should help if its a heat/dry air problem. The spots on her elbows could be callus, Apollo has them there, from sleep on hard surfaces.

Is she itchy or showing any other signs of problems?
She is not itching, it is just dry skin. I just want to make sure there are not mites or anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would try an Omega 3 fish oil. We give our dog Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Pet. We take Nordic Naturals' fish oil pills ourselves and have only good things to say. Might be worth a try. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts