Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheaper dry skin remedy. I've heard of cold pressed coconut oil, but that stuffs expensive. 20$ for a jar that will soon last me a week as my dog gets older. So what other remedies are out there? I'm pretty sure that this developed for the environment as my cat also has dry skin but he doesn't seem to mind as much as my dog.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Grind up oatmeal bits in a blender until it's powder, and then take the powder and stir in some coconut oil, eucalyptus oil, or tea tree oil. (Not a lot is needed here!) You can also use pure agave nectar for soft shiny fur. Seep some rosemary in a little water and when it's done add it to the mix to get it to the consistency you want (Rosemary is good for dry skin as well)

Mix it up and use it as a homemade shampoo! I haven't had much luck in storing this so i use it for a one time thing when Cosmo is miserably itchy due to his allergies.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Costco has coconut oil in a big tub - 54 oz. for 15.99. Good stuff. My dog gets all her vitamins and supplements dipped in it and she laps it up. Plus you can use it for all sorts of things. It makes a great substitute for butter on toast (add a little garlic salt), a moisturizer for your skin and hair. I don't buy conditioner, just a tiny drop is all I need to detangle my shoulder-length hair.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use Nature's Specialties Colloidal Oatmeal shampoo and Colloidal Oatmeal Creme Rinse as I find them to be the best. Costs around $14.99.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We give our girl an omega 3 supplement every day with her morning meal. Check with your Vet for correct dosage etc, but it has made a huge difference, scratching is just about non-existent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My dog has had a pretty terrible time with skin issues, so I understand where you're coming from!

Adding fish oil to your dog's diet may help with overall skin/coat health. (Be sure to supplement Vitamin E along with it)

There are many different shampoos that may or may not help with the dry skin, but we've had the most success with a locally-produced tea tree oil shampoo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 7 month old puppy Koda gets 2 teaspoons of coconut oil with her evening meal. I use the one teaspoon per 10 pounds of weight. She has a healthy shiny coat and no dry skin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts