Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5mo old choc lab about 40lbs. When i bought her ahe had fleas but that was 3 months ago. I do still find a dead flea one her or my two cats every once and awhile. But her itching seems to be getting worse. Naturally ive been keeping up with flea treatments on her and the cats. Well the other day i took a flea comb all over her and got no fleas but a but i did get some dead skin. However on her stomach there seems to be bug bits of some sort. See picture. So I'm not too sure what a course of action would be.i read that putting olive oil in the food helps with dry skin, should i do this and if so how much. She is currently being fed about 2.75 cups of 4 Health large breed grain free a day. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Cold pressed coconut oil is a good thing to use. Make sure and get the cold pressed. The processed stuff has all the good cooked out of it. You can use it inside and out. It is antibacterial so you could rub it on the spots so that they don't become infected.
Here is some info on how to give. Go slow so you don't have stomach issues.
How to Feed your Dog or Cat Coconut Oil

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
brown flakes look like inflammation, the spot looks to be either bug bite or some pimple. I do suggest what dawnben suggested but also to feed the coconut oil. Also all natural shampoo and conditioner. I also suggest trying a turkey and chicken free food. Also what season is it there?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My dog gets these sort of bump looking things only his get a little worse because he's allergic to fleas and they get inflamed and he chews them quite a bit. It could be the beginnings to flea allergies. Is she on a good flea protectant? Coconut oil is like a superfood! I feed it to him and also apply it to his spots down by his belly and thighs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its starting t switch to fall right now. As far as fleas go, i had her on the seresto collar but she had a reaction to it, so i got sentry fibroguard which i used on my cats predog and it did great so i figured id try it on her. I will definitely try the coconut oil. I have some all natural shampoo with oats in it, ill try more often

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Its starting t switch to fall right now. As far as fleas go, i had her on the seresto collar but she had a reaction to it, so i got sentry fibroguard which i used on my cats predog and it did great so i figured id try it on her. I will definitely try the coconut oil. I have some all natural shampoo with oats in it, ill try more often
Can i ask if her if her skin after a bath or during a bath gets red or irritated? does she stratch more after a bath? also does her food contain grains if so can you please link us to the food ingredients? some dogs are allergeric to grains. Of course protiens can cause allergies too but just trying to see if theres a link here between shampoo and grains.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Glad the food is grain free thats good on you :) what other protiens have you tried with her? also might want to try limit what treats give her and only give turkey treats and see what happens or you could switch to a different protien with same protien in the treats to match and see what happens. Other then that the brown flakes Jessie has had them and they turned to be inflammation and not fleas. Jess once had a spider bite that looked similar i will see if i can find the thread for you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The other food i tried was 4 health puppy forumla, the breeder had her on retriever puppy.the treats i feed her are also 4health. I forget the name and cant find them on the internet. I will stop them for a bit ans see what happens. And next time i get food as she is almost out, il see if i can get a different meat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts