Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered severely dry skin on their dogs that seems to have lasted more than a few weeks. I have a 4 year old chocolate lab who is quite active with running and swimming. She usually gets dry skin around spring time when she begins her summer shed as well as swimming for the first time. She is always thoroughly dried after coming out of the water and we only use dog shampoo with oatmeal. You can't even touch her without her reacting to dry skin and it appears red and almost mangy since she is incessantly scratching or gnawing on the affected areas. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered severely dry skin on their dogs that seems to have lasted more than a few weeks. I have a 4 year old chocolate lab who is quite active with running and swimming. She usually gets dry skin around spring time when she begins her summer shed as well as swimming for the first time. She is always thoroughly dried after coming out of the water and we only use dog shampoo with oatmeal. You can't even touch her without her reacting to dry skin and it appears red and almost mangy since she is incessantly scratching or gnawing on the affected areas. Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
So many things can cause dry itchy skin, but mainly allergies.

May be time to consult a vet. But, we currently have our pup on a trial of different allergy meds. Tried Reactin, was pretty useless but now that he's on claritin, seems to be working much better.

What are you feeding your dog?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would say that dry, red, irritable skin is probably THE most common symptom and the primary complaint above all others we see in dogs over the warmer months here in California, so YES, we have seen it before. Allergies are indeed the most common cause, though FOOD ALLERGIES are NOT the most common cause (not by a long shot).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts