Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering what is best for dogs in terms of dry food. I only feed Roxy reasonable/good quality dry food, but often switch brands after each 12kg bag is finished- sometimes for convenience, sometimes to give her a change in flavour/texture.

I am just wondering if I am doing the right thing, or whether I should be feeding her the same day in/day out? She has never shown signs that her stomach cant handle the change, and she scoffs pretty much anything down, but in terms of nutrition and diet, what is best? I know dogs are entirely different, but I know I'd sure get sick of the same thing every night! :p

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
My dog scarfs her food down every night. We jokingly say she eats cardboard cus thats how we feel like we'd feel if we ate that day in and day out, but she never has shown any signs of getting tired of the "flavor" of her dry food. It's a pretty good brand and personally if I was a dog I'd love it, cus it has all sorts of different meats and a bunch of other healthy but tasty sounding things.

~MSE

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I think its best to stick to one brand and maybe just change the flavors of that brand. If you do continue to switch the brands you need to make sure the dog is not reacting with diarrhea and still getting adequate supplements.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
It's all about how your dog is doing on the food regimen you have her/him/them on.

If they have shiny coats, good teeth, good figure -not fat, not thin- normal and consistent poopies -then your doing good. (also no signs of allergies!)

If you notice when you change they have vomiting or diarrhea then you obviously want to change slower or not at all. However if your changing and things are fine-then I don't see a problem ;)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Som' people believe that "rotating" kibble will help prevent allergies.

I stick with the same brand but will rotate flavors...I will also rotate canned food (more often) as long as there is no diarhea its pretty harmless IMO.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys!

Roxy never shows any signs of diarrhea or vomiting so I dont think the change affects her physically, was just wondering what was best. I'm thinking that I might watch her closely with a few different brands (over a long period) to see which she seems healthiest on and then stick with that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That sounds perfect :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts