Dog Forum banner
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mikey 
#1 ·
Hi,
My dog was diagnosed with dry eye today and has conjunctivitis with it. She had now been scratching her face so much that underneath her mouth there is cuts and it is really inflammed. The vet gave us multiple eye drops and ointments, but she HATES them. It is a real struggle to put them in 4 times a day. One of the ointments to stop the immune system from attacking the tear ducts needs to be done twice daily for the rest of her life. Is there an alternative treatment like a tablet that can be used for this?

#2 ·
i have no idea (sorry :() your vet may know, but it sounds like it needs to be treated topically...

do you have a helper? can you give her something irresistible to eat while you are doing it? i like to use a jar of peanut butter for some thing like this, someone holds the dog and and the jar and then person 2 does what needs to be done...

good luck to you both! sending healing vibes to your pup...

#3 ·
My rabbit has something similar-cataract eye that is always dry.

My vet recommened tear gel and I love it-their are lots of brands. It's like water for the eye but in a gel form that lasts longer-easy to use and totally works :) Ask your vet about it :)

Also-instead of trying to just put in eye drops-make it fun for your dog. Put in a drop, make a big fuss and give him a treat. Train him to tolerate this attention he doesn't want the same way you teach him to sit or roll over ;) Reward reward reward :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.