Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog recently started licking his paws excessively, when i took him to the vet they said it was most likely a dog food allergy. I just got purina one chicken and rice formula 5 lb bag to see how he likes it, anyone feed there dog purina one? If so how does your dog like it?

Any other medium priced dog food recomendations with high protien??

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I'm not big on any processed food for our dog. She is fed only fresh prepared, meats, (various) organ meat, fruits and vegies, all USDA certified for human consumption, lightly cooked and packaged by a kitchen that prepares food for dogs. Our Vet wants her to crunch on some kibble, so she gets a little science diet kibble with her meals. We have had her on this diet for about a year and a half, and at age nine, she has far more energy, and a better appetite then she did two or three years ago. Also her coat is thicker, probably by a factor of two. She had food allergies, which we have not seen a sign of, for the past year and a half.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't recommend purina.
Depending on your price range acana and orijen are some of the top brands. Crave, fromm, and taste of the whild are also good but more affordable. Dog food advisor is a great website for an analysis on a brands ingrediants, fat/protein/carb percentage, and overall quality of the food.
I would eliminate grain as it is a common allergy, and if the itching persist start to eliminate certain meat sourced.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My dogs love Earthborn Holistic and Victor, a lot of people seem to like Nutrisource as well, they do have some chicken free recipes. I'd stick to grain free or grain minimal foods. I also add fermented fish broth, which makes their coats super silky, no itching, or licking paws and their ears look great!

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are very good Web sites devoted to dog food quality/nutrition. From what I learned from the experts online, I switched from what I was feeding Billy, to something much more healthful, and I'm starting to see the difference in his coat and reduced scratching. I had no idea before doing this research.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would recommend Wellness, Blue and Solid Gold. The Acana and Orijen are great if you dog goes hunting everyday or is extremely hyper. Those higher brands and especially grain free food has extremely high protein and fat content. Most dogs are domesticated and should have meat, a bit of carbs and fiber. Corn and rice is not great, but brown rice is tad better. Potatoes and sweet potatoes is ok as a carb in dog food.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My dog has allergies, maybe environmental, and was licking and chewing at his skin. I give him apoquel for the itching and benadryl. I don't know what he is allergic to.

People have recommended grain free food. I found American Journey grain free puppy food for half price and am just having him start tonight.

I am following this thread. I need ideas for when this bag runs out

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have had luck with Nulo, Canidae, Earthborn Holistic's, Taste of the Wild, Zignature, and Natural Balance L.I.D formulas...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious. I saw someone referenced dogfoodadvisor.

Unfortunately for me, the only way I can buy quality dog food is online (the shipping costs gouge me something awful) But while looking at the dog food advisor site I saw this rating of an Iams dog food product. They gave it 3.5 stars out of 5 and this is a brand sold at my local walmart. Is this a trust worthy site?

I just don't have the means right now to go on a full fresh/raw diet. But I figure that at least with a decent middle of the road dry dog food I can add sardines and calcium powder to it to up the health quotient.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My dog has allergies, maybe environmental, and was licking and chewing at his skin. I give him apoquel for the itching and benadryl. I don't know what he is allergic to.

People have recommended grain free food. I found American Journey grain free puppy food for half price and am just having him start tonight.

I am following this thread. I need ideas for when this bag runs out
The grain free did not help. I am thinking my dog has environmental allergies.

I hope you have better results

·
Registered
54 Posts
For environmental allergies I suggest talking to your vet about giving benadryl or some other allergy med as needed and also feeding cooling meats. They decrease inflammation and help allergies, and definitely stay away from warm meats as they increase inflamation. Some coolinger meats are duck and white fish, and some warm meats are lamb. There are bigger lists if you look it up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm in the process of transitioning Carly from Good Naturals from Petsmart (they discontinued the brand) to Taste of the Wild. So far she seems like Taste of the Wild pretty well. I wanted a decent quality dog food but didn't feel it had to be top of the line. I was pretty sure I wanted to avoid Purina. I was able to get Taste in a 30 lb bag for $43 from a locally owned feed and garden store...their price was several dollars cheaper than TSC or the pet stores in my area. I hope when she's fully on it it continues to agree with her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts