Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs have refused/given up on dry dog food years ago. I used to feed them Bil-Jak, but they quit eating it and I have had no luck trying different dry on them. One sniff, and they walk away. I have tried cheap to expensive with no luck. My wife wants me to start calling dog food companies to see if they offer any samples. Does anyone know of any companies that do offer samples?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
@milford, lots of companies offer samples. Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Natural Balance, to name a few. Also, any food worth trying has a 100% money back guarantee. If you try it and your dogs hate it, just take it back and try something else.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Milford, is there any way you could try a wet food, or make your own?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cynna. Both get canned and moist. I was looking for dry to sort of balance the wet food.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to move towards dry?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both dogs stopped eating dry years ago. Since then, its been canned and moist. Neither one of them is a biscuit dog. Was looking for a dry to possibly help clean their teeth and better digestion.
As it is, I ordered something called "Canidae"from Drs. Foster & Smith. Something new. No reviews yet. I'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@milford - you could give them a moist food if that's what they like and let them chomp on a bully stick or himalayan chew to aid in the dental hygiene. Have you tried The Honest Kitchen? I think they post on this forum sometimes. My dog LOVES that food. I take it camping because it's much easier to pack than kibble, like a doggy MRE ;) Warm some water on the fire and mix it up and she's a happy girl. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Do you have a PETCO nearby? I was told by a manager at my local PETCO that if whatever kibble I was buying didn't work for my dog, I could bring back the unused portion and trade for another brand. Now I don't know that what he said goes for every PETCO store, so I'd recommend calling yours or asking a manager there before you invest any more money, but it's something to check out because it could help a lot in your situation. I do also know that Fromm offers samples because my local pet boutique store has a display of them so we can try different proteins before I commit to a (rather expensive) larger bag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fromm is out. My beagle has allergies to eggs and dairy. I called Fromm, and every product has egg and cheese.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dry food does not necessarily clean teeth. This is largely a myth, so I wouldn't switch solely on this reason. Wet food is in my option typically better (all else being equal). I'm not sure why you believe dry food provides better digestion?

But as CobbersMom mentioned, Petco has an excellent return policy. I'd like to add that Petsmart also takes back almost anything, even if its open and used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts