Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18mo Male Lab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Our 18month old lab has a very dry/cracked nose. It seems to get worse when he exerts himself at the park / beach

We've been putting cocunut and olive oil on it but it's not getting better. Vet had a look at it and said it wasn't inflamed but didn't recommend anything apart form a barrier cream. Can anyone sugest a good topical cream / ointment? Also has anyone had a similar problem and had success treating it?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
first, have a vet take a look at it, as it could be a medical issue which could be cured.

If it is not a medical issue, then I can advise what I have done. My terrier also gets this, and I have put dozens of things on it to make it better, to no avail. The only thing I have used that works is to rub in a foot cream called "O'Keefe's Healthy Feet" at night, and cover that with a high quality and high wax content lib balm. The high wax content keeps it on the nose. Coconut or olive oil will be licked off in minutes. In the daytime I put only the lip balm on it. this is not a cure, but it does keep it from getting bad. His nose is nice with this treatment and even gets moist, but if I were to stop putting on the cream and lip balm it would go back to being dry again. The foot cream and lip balm by the same company are available online.

·
Registered
18mo Male Lab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Madra :) I'll try to hunt down that O'Keefe foot/lip cream/balm here in Australia. In the mean time I'll get a foot repair cream that's locally available, will also have a look for a waxy lipbalm, I guess a bees wax product would be good? We have Burt's Bees lip balm here in Oz which I'll pick up today.

And yes the vet did look at it yesturday (the photo was taken in the waiting room :)), they said it wasn't an infection/inflamation as the nose tissue wasnt raised around the perimeter. And there wasnt any inflamation around the eyes/lips/ears/anus. They said some dogs suffer from such dryness and and suggested a waterproof barrier cream/ointment but nothing specific.

I find sometimes his nose is better than others, in that photo it's as bad as it gets. I find it gets worse after vigourous exercise, maybe something to do with dehydration? We have started putting oil on it before and after a beach walk to protect it from the salt which seems to dry it out alot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This article may be of help to you. (I am not a vet, but have heard of this condition and it does sound similar to what is going on with your pup)

How To Treat Hyperkeratosis on Dog's Nose or Paws | Natural Dog Company

I would suggest caution if using treatments intended for human use, as they may contain ingredients that may be harmful to your pup if ingested.

Reactions: Buzzu2

·
Registered
18mo Male Lab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for the link CachetheBC, i saw that page before but from looking more into that specific condition, ours is more dry/cracked and doesn't have excess skin/keritone growing/thinkening. I will bring it up with the vet next time though, the list half way down the page is intersesting as to things that could cause hyperkeratosis, like zinc deficiency.

·
Registered
828 Posts
20210614_170521.jpg

I bought this yrs ago from a pet shop. You can buy it online also. Says on back can use on nose aswell.
Ps just curious if your in australia why do you not have aussie flag?

·
Registered
18mo Male Lab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Beardogjesse, will have a look for it. I applied DU'IT Tough Hands (skin repair/moisturiser/barrier cream) on his nose this morning and he took it quiet well and wasn't irritated by it. Also doesnt have a scent which is great.

Not sure where the Estonian flag came from?? It just set itself up automatically. I tried changing location in settings, but there aren't many options in there.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks Beardogjesse, will have a look for it. I applied DU'IT Tough Hands (skin repair/moisturiser/barrier cream) on his nose this morning and he took it quiet well and wasn't irritated by it. Also doesnt have a scent which is great.

Not sure where the Estonian flag came from?? It just set itself up automatically. I tried changing location in settings, but there aren't many options in there.
I should probably pre warn you it does have a strong smell. A nice smell but strong.

·
Registered
18mo Male Lab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found location under Account Settings, was looking at My Profile before. All good now :)

Cheers Beardogjesse, i had a look online and it looks like Bradfield's is unavailable at the moment. I think its probably best that the cream/balm is withoout scent being around the nose. Will see how this Tough Hands goes for now. Its medium runny cream so easy to apply without having to oush down too much to spread, and not too runny that it goes everywhere as youre chasing his nose :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thank for the link CachetheBC, i saw that page before but from looking more into that specific condition, ours is more dry/cracked and doesn't have excess skin/keritone growing/thinkening. I will bring it up with the vet next time though, the list half way down the page is intersesting as to things that could cause hyperkeratosis, like zinc deficiency.
I was also referred to that condition at first, but that is not what my dog has, either.

The foot balm I recommended is OK for the dog's nose. The dog ingests very, very little of it in any case, because I rub it in very thoroughly and then cover it with the waxy lip balm, so I don't think you need to worry about that. I use it on my own lips as well when they get too dry.

Burt's Bees lip balm would probably work. I don't know if any other foot balm would work or be safe, though. This stuff softens calluses on feet and is the only thing I have ever used that does. It is for sale on Amazon, and I bet they would ship it to you, although since I live in the US I don't know. It says "free delivery", though.

Best of luck with this!

·
Registered
18mo Male Lab
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We pay a lot for shipping from the US to Aust, it went up a few years ago. I find UK to Aust a lot cheaper.

Looks like Amazon stocks it locally, and so does iHerb at half price. I'll get some next time I'm ordering :D Thanks

BTW it looks like O'Keef make a scented and unscented version, in caase anyone else ends up ordering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts