Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, we have a 4 months old medium size puppy (currently weighing between 10kg to 15kg), and we've been giving him dry cow skin bones to chew. But today we've just noticed that on the package, it says that it's for dogs more than 9 months old. It makes me wonder if giving him this kind of bones would be bad, like damaging his teeth or not good for his digestive system, and if so, then what other stuffs can we give him to chew (chew toys seems less interesting for him)?

·
Registered
63 Posts
hi, as far as im aware they put that on the packaging because it can damage puppy teeth. once the adult teeth are all in place then you should be okay. I would recomend Kong puppy toys as they can be filled with food or treats which make them more interesting for mischevious puppies. :) hope that helps.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I agree about waiting for adult teeth. Our dog loves them. When I say them, he's still on his first one after nearly a week. It's the only thing he's not been able to tear apart within 10 minutes. And I can actually sit next to him and relax after a long romp and not have to worry that he's trying to tear apart off the sofa. He still loves the kong and bully sticks but they're empty/gone within 10 minutes.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Are you talking about rawhide? I wouldn't give it at all, regardless of age. It causes blockages, and you're basically giving your dog bleached leather to chew/eat. Not very good for the digestive tract. Look at bully sticks instead.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've been looking into the risks. They seem to be extremely small. Bully sticks last my dog 10 minutes and he wants to chew the whole time he's not running around or training. If anyone knows of something better, I'd love to hear about it as I'm happy to change if there is an alternative that isn't going to cost a tenner a day!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rawhide! Okay. I think it depends on the dog. If they consume the rawhide in one sitting that is bad bad bad. It can cause blockages. It takes my dogs a couple of days to go through rawhides. Still, I never felt totally comfortable giving it the them. Bully sticks do go pretty fast. You can get large knee caps and knuckle bones that I don't know if the dog could ever get through.

Deer antlers are supposed to last just about forever. I've heard of dogs chewing on them for a year! If they're not available where you're at, you can order them online. They have different sizes for different dogs. All pointy parts are sanded down. Mine is about a six inch section.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's rawhide, sorry for the translation lol :) yeah it's the only thing that can keep his attention and paws/teeth focused for a long time without destroying everything else. A medium size bone would last for many days and less than a week. He also has a few toys, but he would lose interest some time after.

My pup's digestive system is still recovering from the parvo damage, so at the beginning he got some diarrhea when we gave him rawhide bones, but it seems that he's been doing fine with it now. :) It seems that some teeth are still coming out, but maybe I should find some chew stuffs that are softer? I will take a look for deer antlers also. Do you guys know of any chew stuff suitable for sensitive digestive system?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try the Nylabones for puppies... my dog loves them.. you can get ones that are flavoured so they really get into them. Make sure you take them away when they get damaged too much though.. you don't want them ingesting the plastic.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I also give Coconut those hollow cow bones with stuffing. I'll either stuff them myself or give her the Red Barn ones that aren't pure corn syrup (I think the stuffing is made of bully sticks and some sugar). She has a pretty sensitive tummy too. Mostly I've noticed any chew that can be swallowed has to be given in moderation, so any of the 100% cow parts are fine (trachea, tendons, etc.), but I have to take them away before she eats too much. I would look at Bully Sticks - All Natural Value Dog Treats - Best Bully Stick and see what they have. That's where I get most of my bully sticks and cow parts, and they are way cheaper than what you get a store. We also have nylabones and antlers for her to chew on, but she doesn't chew them as often.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've ordered some antlers. He's lost interest in the hide bone and the bully sticks are just too quickly gone. Fingers crossed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts