Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if some of you saw this has been a difficult month medically for the dogs. Stella got her stitches from her surgery removed last night and I've been considering her all better after the bee sting last week and dehydration. But she's still been...droopy.

Stella is a high energy dog and normally really active and bouncy and doesn't stop moving much. She's been sleeping a lot more than normal, calmer, and sometimes looks a bit sad. My mom is convinced she's somehow depressed because Tyrion gets attention too but I don't think that's it. She gets plenty of one on one attention and trips where she gets to go alone. A few times she's even more gingerly gotten on and off the couch or been hesitant to do so, like her leg is bothering her. But last week we thought something was wrong with her leg and she got a full x ray and check up on her legs and hips, so there's nothing wrong. Could it be growing pains? Pulled muscles? Maybe from Tyrion being a little brat and biting her?

Stella also isn't just curled up in a sad ball of fur. She's been happy to play, go on walks, get treats, do tricks, and has been eating meals (in her normal picky fashion), just not as crazy/off the walls excited like she often gets. She still smiles and all, but it's still not as much as usual. To be honest it's been a bit nice to have her calmer, as she behaves and listens a little better. I was even thinking maybe some of it is her maturing and not being so crazy. But really what I think the majority of it is, is the heat. It's been hot out and I just think she doesn't want to exert herself more than necessary. Animals are smart and don't like to overwork themselves in the heat and that's what I think this is.

Opinions?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree w you its probably just the heat. Especially if it's humid out. When we didn't have AC (in FL!) my dog was a bit on the quiet side as well. Fortunately we got the AC working before the hottest months of the year but it was still in the 80s w 80%+ humidity and was quite gross. It can really affect them. I wouldn't worry too much about it and would just wait for it to cool off a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'd keep an eye out for limping or the leg you suspect getting worse, but I'm going to third that it's likely the heat. All my dogs have been quieter and more subdued in the summer then once we get the first really good batch of cool weather it's like someone flipped a switch and they come alive.

Reactions: traciek88

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. But... *sigh* Now I'm just worried about her leg/legs. I seriously don't know what's wrong. She's walking a lot slower than normal and seems hesitant to jump on and off things. I mean I know there's nothing wrong with her bones because she got x-rays last week. But she's just not acting normal. I hate to but I might have to take her to the vet again Monday. She does jump a lot so maybe she puled a muscle. My mom seems to think Tyrion might've pinched a nerve biting her in his annoying puppyish way.

I know no one is a vet here (I think!) and you can't see her but this is just weird. I don't want my baby to be in pain and I'm even skipping her morning walk so she can rest. Not only that but we're going to start agility foundations in two weeks and I don't want to overstress her body. :-/ And if we can't do it I'd like to see if I can cancel and get some money back or transferred to something else.

I'm just upset

·
Registered
562 Posts
I know how you feel; we *know* our dogs, and if it's not the heat, you just know it innately. Take a deep breath and try to stay positive, though I know it's hard when you're worrying! :( I think a lot of us know that feeling WELL!
:huddle:

Do you think it might be joint related? I know Stella is young, and so was my Tiger some years ago when he started showing mobility issues. It turned out to be his knees, but like you said, something like that would come up in an xray, probably, but would they be looking for that? You can always call them up and ask the vet to have another look.

Anyway, joint supplements have made ALL the difference. I've posted all I'm currently giving my three (for their varying problems) on other threads, but can repost here if you think it might help any.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The doctor rotated her legs and hips on the last check up and her knees were checked when she was very young and they were totally fine. So I'm really stumped. Especially since it doesn't happen all the time.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Stuff like this is tough but I've learned to trust my gut! I might have the vet run a Lyme test.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had her tested for that too when we got the x Rays. :-/ seriously this is why I'm so stumped. Maybe she has a virus or parasite? We have to o to the doctor tomorrow.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Quite the mystery! Hm ...is she responsive in any way to you flexing/bending the leg in question? Not in any unnatural way, but maybe slightly past how far she would bend/straighten it herself.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Weird suggestion, but maybe you could try taking her to a dog chiropractor or something like that, to see if that might help.

Or is there a possibility that she may have fell off something when you weren't around or pulled/twinged something while jumping or playing?

Hopefully she starts to feel better soon :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It turns out she was having a lot of tummy issues (and was dehydrated). The vet said that hesitance to jump and move quickly was probably evidence of abdominal pain. We have her on a bland diet now and took away all her bully sticks and antlers. It looked like there might've been a chip of something in her tummy that irritated it, so we tossed everything. I'm happy to say Stella is doing a lot better and playing at daycare now. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts