Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy has always listened well but this time it was my fault.
I have a chain linked fence that has two sides that meet in the middle. Daisy usually comes out and stays and watches me go into the trailer; which is directly outside of the fence. On the left its a bigger walk space and the right is a small one because there is a bush and shrub so you can't really get through. I wasn't looking at her for about 15 seconds and she was gone, which is totally NOT normal. She sometimes looks over and then i call her name so she doesn't go wondering.
Anyway, I started to call for her and she wasn't coming i looked in my backyard and she wasn't there. I went to the front and saw she was in the middle of the road sniffing another dogs junk. (The dog was from across the street; a male who isn't neutered) I wasn't worried since she was spayed but she wasn't coming to me since she was emerged in what she was doing. I got her and brought her back to my house and my neighbors got their dog. But she had drool on the top of her head and ear... I just read on a post about a dog park and drool on the head and that not being being a good experience and was wondering what it meant and why... (There was no fighting or barking in the front as far as i know)

P.S. I have a door gate thing infront of my first door. And the dog across the street got out and came to the door and Daisy went crazy. Her chest was tensed, her tail was up, the hair on the back of her head was up, she was barking loudly she was jumping up at the door. He didn't care and kept marking my house. (This was before the encounter in the street but it might help)

P.P.S. Sorry for the long story just thought you might need some back ground

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think drool on the head may have implied the two dogs were fighting? That's all I can think ...glad nothing too bad went down.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the drool on the head. Some dogs drool when they're anxious, some drool when they're excited, some just drool. The other dog may have drooled on her head. If you heard no fighting and saw no behavior between them that was concerning, I'd just chalk it up to "drool happens".

Her barking and jumping at the door when the other dog was in front of your house sounds like normal dog behavior. If you wanted to you could do some counter conditioning with her. When the other dog is noticed by her, feed her some really good food as long as the dog is visible. When the dog disappears, food stops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i will try the food thing... Thank you! I was also thinking about adopting the other dog. His owner said go ahead because they aren't really "pet people" and so they just leave him outside the whole time. He is sweet but i just have to make sure to neuter him!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts