Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

First post from a long time lurker....

I have had my dog Zephyr for around 9 months now, and she has a bit of a drinking problem - in that she LOVES it. To the point where she will drink too much and vomit immediately. Admittedly this only happens maybe once or twice a month, but I often have to interrupt her drinking, or else it seems like she would keep going until theres nothing left! Its like she gets in a drinking zone, and just wont stop even if she is full.

I was just wondering if there is any possible way of stopping this? I live in Australia, so it gets HOT in the summer, so I dont really want to be restricting her water intake/availability. She has a go-slow food bowl because she is also a guts when it comes to food, but I dont know if there is an equivalent product for water? Or if this is something that I will just have to deal with?

Also, is this something that is actually bad for her health? i.e does anyone know if this could be a symptom of an illness, or if there are long term health effects to occaisonal vomiting?

Thanks!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Excessive water intake can be due to kidney issues, diabetes, behavioural, thyroid, and is a symptom for many other things. Does she at least urinate a lot due to the excessive water intake? I would be cautious with this as too much water intake can also lead to bloat (there are no concrete research yet, but it have been said that it can lead to it). I personally would talk to the vet about this.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned it this only happens once or twice a month. I'd be concerned it she did it every time she got a drink. I have a dog that will occasionally vomit up a bit of water when she drinks too fast. I always manage to step in it.

There is such a thing as water toxicity caused by a dog taking in too much water and it can be fatal. This is not what your dog is doing based on your description. With your climate, I would not limit her water intake. You might offer her ice cubes when it's hot. Only one of my three likes them but she's also the water gulper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts