Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a man walking a Borzoi yesterday and it reminded me how badly I want one of the boogers!

Anyone have a dream dog that they want to own but just aren't sure if they'd match their lifestyle? I've been contemplating so hard on Borzoi but sometimes it's difficult to know unless you actually experience the dog. Ugh!

My boyfriend was with me and he asked "is there a breed that looks like that with less of a weird looking head?" I told him the head is the best part!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I wanted a Border Collie FOREVER. Ever since I was young and I watched sheepdog trials, agility competitions, and truthfully Babe the movie was probably a huge factor haha.

But I knew there was no way one would ever fit with me going to school, so I looked into other breeds that would fit. I finally got an Aussie as I figured it was the next best thing, and a little less intense. It was a good choice, as he is my soul mate a little bit :)

When I decided to pursue dog training full time, I decided to get my BC. I probably could have waited until Levi was a little older, but meh. I love her, she's everything I dreamed the breed would be. She's still young, and a bit of a trouble-maker, but she has thus far not disappointed. :)

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted a Border Collie FOREVER. Ever since I was young and I watched sheepdog trials, agility competitions, and truthfully Babe the movie was probably a huge factor haha.

But I knew there was no way one would ever fit with me going to school, so I looked into other breeds that would fit. I finally got an Aussie as I figured it was the next best thing, and a little less intense. It was a good choice, as he is my soul mate a little bit :)

When I decided to pursue dog training full time, I decided to get my BC. I probably could have waited until Levi was a little older, but meh. I love her, she's everything I dreamed the breed would be. She's still young, and a bit of a trouble-maker, but she has thus far not disappointed. :)
It's so difficult for me though because I know I'd be happy with any herder, collie, border, aussie, you name it - but borzoi are so strikingly different in both appearance and personality that it's hard to know if I'd even like to have one around. I've enjoyed the ones I've met but meeting and owning are two different things! I also want an outlet for one to run but I apparently can't trust them off leash and while I'll have a backyard I won't have acres. So that's a huge factor. Maybe I could find a large expansive enough field that it wouldn't matter. Sigh.

Heidi and Levi are gorgeous, when I first saw Levi I have to admit I had some blue merle jealousy because Cosmo was going to be blue or red merle or at least red tri but I ended up with a wiggly little black tri!

For some reason I thought Levi's name was Broc for the longest time ?? No idea why!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
German Shorthaired Pointers for me. They are so different from Border Collies so that's why I wonder how they'd fit with me but I'm a dog walker so I'm out all day and exercise wouldn't be an issue.

I'm also really into Dobermans and Rotties right now, to be honest the list is endless haha

Reactions: Sabina88 and cos

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
German Shorthaired Pointers for me. They are so different from Border Collies so that's why I wonder how they'd fit with me but I'm a dog walker so I'm out all day and exercise wouldn't be an issue.

I'm also really into Dobermans and Rotties right now, to be honest the list is endless haha
GSPs are so freaking cute!

@cos - I was originally thinking Red merle, but Levi was the only merle in his littler, and his personality totally snared me. ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
GSPs are so freaking cute!

@cos - I was originally thinking Red merle, but Levi was the only merle in his littler, and his personality totally snared me. ;)
I love them, I don't know what it is I've just been so drawn to them :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Umm for me it would be the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. I like everything I've ever read about them but they aren't sight hounds and I'm not sure if I would actually enjoy living with one. I have had other not sight hound dogs in the past and they have been okay but I've never bonded to them in the way I bond with a sight hound.

Not that I need or desire another dog right now! We have three, plus a foster, and another Borzoi puppy on the way next month. Plus MacGuffin might just end up staying here with us depending on how he fits in with Tallahassee (new Borzoi puppy)

Also @cos if you ever find yourself in Arizona - you are welcome to come spend some time with my 'Zoi

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm for me it would be the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. I like everything I've ever read about them but they aren't sight hounds and I'm not sure if I would actually enjoy living with one. I have had other not sight hound dogs in the past and they have been okay but I've never bonded to them in the way I bond with a sight hound.

Not that I need or desire another dog right now! We have three, plus a foster, and another Borzoi puppy on the way next month. Plus MacGuffin might just end up staying here with us depending on how he fits in with Tallahassee (new Borzoi puppy)

Also @cos if you ever find yourself in Arizona - you are welcome to come spend some time with my 'Zoi
Ahhh! I'm calling up all of my Arizona relatives and asking to come over! Because that sounds like a party! House full of zoi :) Sounds great!

I guess my main worry is 1) not being able to provide off leash running and 2) not bonding with a SH because I read they're aloof? But according to you who owns (almost) three, that's not true! So I'm just not sure what to believe.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Samoyed. Without a doubt, I want a Samoyed. But it's so hot and humid here like 10 months out of the year. :(
All spitz breeds are GORGEOUS but I definitely don't think they'd be a personality/lifestyle fit for me. Also that's an awful lot of shedding!

·
Registered
579 Posts
@cos aloofness has not been my personal experience. Though I cannot speak for others!

I will say that the breeder we got Basil from (who is also where Tallahassee is coming from) - has quite a lot of registered therapy dogs in her lines as well as a couple of service dogs.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
All spitz breeds are GORGEOUS but I definitely don't think they'd be a personality/lifestyle fit for me. Also that's an awful lot of shedding!
The grooming requirements are definitely high, but it's something I don't mind. If it weren't a Samoyed, it'd probably be a Husky. :D

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I have a long list too, but I think for right now sight hounds are the ones that I would love to own but im not sure how they would fit in. Im normally a herder person, and other breeds but mostly herders. Sight hounds aren't normally my kind of dog but I would love to own a Borzoi, a Saluki and a Irish Wolfhound. I think part of it for me is that ive never meet a sight hound or ever had a dog that big/tall.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Borzoi take over slowly starts! :D

Reactions: cos and Sabina88

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My dream dog is a Collie. For me, it's not so much experience, as my family had had Collies and I've known several others. Waiting until I'm in the place to buy the dog is the hard part. :)

As for breeds I think are cool but haven't gotten to meet....right now Havanese are probably at the top of the list. I think they're awesome but have never met one. I think Portugese Water Dogs are pretty cool too.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
K9Chaos- I had actually never really looked at/into Borzoi's until I saw your pictures and posts about yours. After that I ended up falling in love with the breed :). Side note, I cant believe your getting a third one, very jealous.

·
Registered
579 Posts
@Sabina88 I um... can't believe I am getting a third one either. The timing is totally stupidly wrong for another puppy. Cora and Basil will only be 8mos old.

However it is literally a once in a life time opportunity. The dam is one of my favourite dogs of all time and the sire is an incredible Russian dog. It is an exceptional pairing that can only ever happen once. Unfortunately the sire tragically passed away shortly after the mating took place. So it was kind of a "now or never" sort of thing.

I guess sometimes you have to embrace your inner crazy!

Reactions: timber and Sabina88

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Honestly, I think my dream breed are aussies now. I really can't explain how much I love my aussie. They have so much personality all while still being so intelligent and in-tuned. I just couldn't imagine my life without them.

Training wise, I would love to have a border collie one day. But at this point I know I do not have the time or know how to properly start a border puppy. Maybe in a few more years I'll have more confidence to take on such an intense breed.

Reactions: Shandula

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@jclark343 - I am not convinced we are not long-lost sisters.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
502 Posts
I want a rott really bad. But I have 3 dogs, so it'll be awhile. I'm not getting a big breed until I'm really stable in life and have a good size house and yard. I live on a farm currently, but I don't know how long that will last, and no way I'm living in an apartment with one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts