Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, there! My parents have had their schnauzer for 3 years and have never had this issue. I bought Dream Bones for my puppy (Marley) and stopped by my parent's house and gave their dog one while we visited for a little while. Mom texted me later that evening, after I had left, saying that he had thrown up the bits of the bone, not digested, just whole pieces of the supposedly 99% digestible bone. No big deal, maybe his stomach is sensitive to them. I just won't give them to him anymore, problem solved. Not. He's been throwing up everything ever since and its almost been a week. He's not keeping anything down. When he's not getting sick, he's himself. No lethargy or odd behavior. Has anyone had this problem? Why is he still throwing up?

ETA: We changed foods (Purina One chicken and rice formula; he LOVES it) but its been at least 2 months. Would he just now be developing a sensitivity to it?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I haven't ever heard of dream bones. What are they? I don't think it's the food, if all of this has started since the bone thing, then that is probably the cause. I just don't know what they are. Real bones? smoked? Commercial treat type things?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I've never seen those around here, but I think I would pass. They say not rawhide, still not real sure what they are actually made of. I'll look at them closer. I can see where they could be a problem for blockages though. Those big knobs on the ends look like they could be dangerous, and too big to "digest" or even pass if they are swallowed.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Being Made in China, there's really no way to know what is in those treats. Personally, I only buy food/treats made in the USA. I couldn't find the ingredients list on their website.

Your parents should get the dog to the vet if he's been vomiting for a week. He could be dehydrated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe they are taking him soon.

Here are all of the ingredients off of my bag:

Corn, chicken, sorbitol, glycerin, fructose, pork gelatin, peanut butter, barley malt syrup, maltodextrin, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, dicalcium phosphate, salt, ferrous sulfate, titanium dioxide, zinc sulfate, artificial flavor, niacinamide, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate (preservative), sodium pyrophosphate, sodium propionate (preservative), sodium tripolyphosphate, vitamin E, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, manganese sulfate, vitamin B12 supplement, FD&C red 40

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Unfortunately, it's the ingredients that you don't know of.

Remember the melamine scare, dogs died because of treats and such out of china.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
So, to me.... that's a lot of chemicals and that peanut butter may contain xylitol. Personally, I would not feed these.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't aware of a melamine scare. That's very unfortunate. I know my family would be devastated if they ever lost this dog.

The treats have been thrown in the garbage bin. Thanks for the insight, guys! :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I believe they are taking him soon.

Here are all of the ingredients off of my bag:

Corn, chicken, sorbitol, glycerin, fructose, pork gelatin, peanut butter, barley malt syrup, maltodextrin, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, dicalcium phosphate, salt, ferrous sulfate, titanium dioxide, zinc sulfate, artificial flavor, niacinamide, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate (preservative), sodium pyrophosphate, sodium propionate (preservative), sodium tripolyphosphate, vitamin E, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, manganese sulfate, vitamin B12 supplement, FD&C red 40
I don't know how these are considered "safe". Looks very toxic to me. Just as dangerous, or even more so than rawhide.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts