Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago we found out that my dog had heart worms and we got the normal keep your dog cool and calm talk along with a months supply of doxycycline. Everything was_ fine until a couple of days ago when my dog started tearing up the paneling between the window seal and window unit. After that we boarded up all the paneling in the house and thought we had it fixed until today when she actually broke a whole entire window and escaped.

My question is does doxycycline make dogs more hyper or is something else the problem?
She has always been a inside dog, so staying in the house for long periods of time has never been an issue until now.

I guess it could also be her diet since I changed her food to gluten and grain free Blue Buffalo , but I am not sure.

Anything at this point would be helpful.

P.S. She has not had any problems that are associated with dog taking doxycycline.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I've never been through having a heartworm positive dog, but I know most vets recommend strict crate rest for a month. Any excitement and activity can cause clumps of the heartworms to breakaway and kill the dog.
Even if you're using the slow kill method it's advisable to keep your dog calm, not crashing though windows ;)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
It could be that the dog is just feeling a lot better as the heartworm medication is working.
I would definitely ask the vet for advice on what to do next.
Perhaps long, slow walks, might help to dissipate that energy in a better way than breaking out of the house. I would ask the vet if this would be advisable or not.

Is your dog crate trained?
You may need to work on that, as the only way to safely contain the dog.

Clarification question...what medication is being used to treat the heartworms themselves? The doxy I assume is precautionary for secondary infections?
Or is it actually Lyme disease your dog has, or another tick borne infection?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I agree with Lucille..contact the vet something else is going on and I do not think it has any thing to do with the doxy..How was she treated for HW? How long has it been? Has anything changed at your home that could be upsetting her?

·
Registered
620 Posts
FWIW, even though she's an indoor dog, she may have some pent up energy if it has been a few weeks since the vet visit, and as Tess said, she's probably feeling better now that she's had the treatment. I'm assuming you are keeping her quieter than usual.

My family adopted a HW+ dog a few years ago. He had just been treated before we brought him home. He got the shot(s?) of Immiticide, so we had to keep him really quiet for a few months. I don't remember if he got doxy for it. Anyway, he was great the first week or so, and then he got very restless and it was hard to keep him quiet.

Since he's recovered, he's the biggest couch potato (not super high energy), but he still struggled with excess energy while he was being restricted.

I agree you should check with the vet to make sure nothing else is going on, but if the vet confirms that it is restlessness, perhaps try providing more mental stimulation. If she wasn't a very physically active dog before, learning new tricks and/or eating out of kongs/puzzle toys may help her stay calmer.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The doxy didn't affect my two. Probably not feeling.better yet, this is the slow kill method and it takes awhile. Maybe from being kept confined. Is she afraid of anything like thunderstorms, gunshots, fireworks that possibly set her off? I'd have her rechecked with your vet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Maybe anxiety

Do you think maybe it could be an separation or anxiety issues? Right after we found out she had heart worms we went on a trip and we had to kennel her at the vets office. Usually we keep her at my mother in laws house but my mother in law came on this trip also so we had to kennel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.How was she treated for HW? How long has it been? Has anything changed at your home that could be upsetting her?

The only that has changed at my house was that my husband was out of work for awhile so he was home a lot and he finally got a job.

They gave us doxy and said twice a day and also start giving her preventative and we will see you in 2 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is your dog crate trained?
You may need to work on that, as the only way to safely contain the dog.

Clarification question...what medication is being used to treat the heartworms themselves? The doxy I assume is precautionary for secondary infections?
Or is it actually Lyme disease your dog has, or another tick borne infection?
She has never been crate trained but I have used a crate to keep her inside before. As of right now the only thing that they have her on is the doxy, and in a month and half they will give her the other shots. They did a heart worm test and said she was +.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
The only that has changed at my house was that my husband was out of work for awhile so he was home a lot and he finally got a job.
That is a big change for her. That could be part of her anxiety. He may have to spend some special time with her now...scheduled time so she will get use to the pattern. Then he can gradually change it or decrease the amount.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It actually is also used with the immiticide treatment, as a pretreatment, to kill the wohlbachia.
I agree 100% as I have had 2 dogs treated with slow kill protocol before Imiticide shortage. Since Imiticide is the only drug approved to kill adult heartworms , what drug was used on the op's dog as adulticide heaartworm treatment.

Best , Redbonehounds

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a foster black lab with heart worms. Just started the Doxycycline, 2x per day pre-treatment, 30 day regimen and he seems much more hyper now. I picked up the leash and he ran all over, bumping into chairs, spinning in a circle before I could get the leash on. This morning, he chewed up a pair of shoes. I know labs can be energetic and destructive, but it sure seems like his turbo boost has been activated by the pills. Before he was energetic, but more in control of his actions.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bremaria,
Not sure if doxy is the cause of problem,you should check with your Vet.

I have used doxy since the 70s with good success for infection related to wound care with my hounds. In later years I used doxy and Ivermectin to treat heart worm infection in my hounds when Imiticede could found not be found.

Best , Redbonehounds

1 - 18 of 18 Posts