Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of Chisum's many problems, door rushing is up near the top of the list. When someone exits the house - anyone, family included, aside from me to be specific - he will lunge and bite/growl at the door as it closes, then follow them via the windows as they walk along the front of the house, lunging and clawing at the windows as he does so.

I have no idea how or why this is a problem.

After much contemplation, I am thinking about getting a treat and train and having anyone who exits the house press the remote as they leave and as they walk down the sidewalk. With some work, I think this could at least keep Chisum away from the door. Eventually, maybe we could work up to having the person just press the button before they leave.

I'm not always downstairs when they leave, and as it is every time they exit it isn't really realistic for me to be. But this may redirect/reward even if I can't be in the vicinity. It seems the easiest, anyway.

I think my ultimate goal is to just have him away from the door/windows when people go outside. I thought about training him to go to a bed, which would be fine if it were just guests, but it's not terribly realistic if people are coming in and out frequently, and I frankly don't mind. As long as he's not near the door he can't lunge at it, and that's all I want from him.

The funny thing is, he's got an awesome "stay" which is what he's told when he can't go outside and must remain indoors. He doesn't rush out the door, he just seems to get frustrated. But again, I can say "stay" and leave and he may watch me out the window, but that's it. Any other person can tell him to stay or they can say nothing and leave and all hell breaks loose. I cannot figure him out.

It's also an issue with inside doors that are closed on him, but not nearly as bad and I think if I can solve this first problem it would be an awesome start.

Ideas? Critiques?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't seem to matter if I'm there or not - the only thing is that if I'm there, I can stop him (by holding onto him) or potentially distract him with treats.

I thought about standing there while someone went in and out and feeding him treats for sitting quietly away from the doors/windows, but wasn't sure if it would become null once I was gone or the situation changed or it just happened on a different day or something. The treat dispenser is appealing because I don't have to be present, and it can go on fairly seamlessly for several days to weeks and maybe that would help him catch on or generalize?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I think that it is definitely a good beginning step to add before involving a manners minder. You might even be able to forgo the manners minder entirely if you can go from working with him while people leave to having people treat him until they are out the door, then leave him with a kong or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts